Hello from Alan in Aylesbury

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakay

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, some good content on this forum. By the way, I have experienced some difficulty, one of my computers is banned for some unknown reason, the filters seem too sensitive. Couldn't post using my phone from work earlier either. This time using my chromebook. Hopefully it will get sorted.

Thanks, think I know vaguely why I had been banned, something to do with promotion, but from what I remember and it was a long time ago, had just been trying to be helpful.

Hi and welcome from a fellow Aylesbury Duck. Left town a long time ago but having been born and raised there I still consider it home.

Stigmorgan, I've been in the Aylesbury area only all my adult life, but it feels increasingly less like home as the countryside around it gets swallowed up by new housing intensively and HS2 barging through along the edge near our home, crossing the route to my workshop. Won't be retiring here.

Stigmorgan, I've been in the Aylesbury area only all my adult life, but it feels increasingly less like home as the countryside around it gets swallowed up by new housing intensively and HS2 barging through along the edge near our home, crossing the route to my workshop. Won't be retiring here.
I know what you mean, every time I visit mum it seems everything has changed, its probably been 3 years since I last visited so probably won't recognise anything next time I do. I'm certainly a lot happier out here in Surrey.

Welcome, Alan.
Enjoy your experience here.

BP
(Haddenham, so not too far)
We used to go fishing in Haddenham, I think the lake is gone now, it used to be down a alley near the church I think (it was almost 25 years ago)

Edit - got curious so looked at Google maps, the alleyway is off of flint Street by St Mary's Church, G maps shows what might still be a small lake there.

Last edited:
I'm certainly a lot happier out here in Surrey.
I’m amazed to hear you say that. I used to live in Aldershot, work in Minley and had family in Camberley, Mytchett and Church Crookham but I can’t find many unchanged road routes and areas around there. So many of the military camps have been built on and some training areas too that I have to use the sat nav now for an area that I knew like the back of my hand. I think it is the price of ‘progress’ and that very few places remain the same even if no more buildings go up. Just look at how few pubs, village shops and local garages remain! Times change and with them the infrastructure around us so finding somewhere you feel is ‘untouched’ will generally only be your viewpoint, not that of those who live there.

I’m amazed to hear you say that. I used to live in Aldershot, work in Minley and had family in Camberley, Mytchett and Church Crookham but I can’t find many unchanged road routes and areas around there. So many of the military camps have been built on and some training areas too that I have to use the sat nav now for an area that I knew like the back of my hand. I think it is the price of ‘progress’ and that very few places remain the same even if no more buildings go up. Just look at how few pubs, village shops and local garages remain! Times change and with them the infrastructure around us so finding somewhere you feel is ‘untouched’ will generally only be your viewpoint, not that of those who live there.
I know what you mean, this is kind of my second time "living" here, I did my Royal Engineers training at the camp by Minley Manor back in 2000 then moved to Ash Vale for work almost 4 years ago, 18 years and the changes are immense, having said that, I love walking the dogs over the ranges. So many beautiful places here.

Welcome to the forum from a new(ish) member, Born in London, raised in Surrey & now living in Scotland so moved about a bit lol

I would think nowhere is safe so if you find somewhere nice to retire it will probably only be a matter of time, my Parents house is close to Epsom Downs & Companies were buying half of peoples gardens, if they got a few people in a row interested it was worth them paying over the odds for one house knocking it down & putting in a new road.

I know what you mean, this is kind of my second time "living" here, I did my Royal Engineers training at the camp by Minley Manor back in 2000 then moved to Ash Vale for work almost 4 years ago, 18 years and the changes are immense, having said that, I love walking the dogs over the ranges. So many beautiful places here.
Ah, good old Gib Barracks, I used to work in Minley Manor but moved to Herefordshire in 89. As you say some beautiful walks on the training areas over there but confusing driving around there for me as it is both very familiar and totally unfamiliar at the same time.

Ah, good old Gib Barracks, I used to work in Minley Manor but moved to Herefordshire in 89. As you say some beautiful walks on the training areas over there but confusing driving around there for me as it is both very familiar and totally unfamiliar at the same time.
Gibraltar Barracks, you know I was racking my brain trying to remember it but it wouldn't come. Some very good memories from my Tim there, we used to walk from the barracks into Blackwater, I used to walk to Fleet train station on a Friday evening to get home for the weekend then walk back Sunday evening.

Gibraltar Barracks, you know I was racking my brain trying to remember it but it wouldn't come. Some very good memories from my Tim there, we used to walk from the barracks into Blackwater, I used to walk to Fleet train station on a Friday evening to get home for the weekend then walk back Sunday evening.
I had a lot of good times there too and was gutted to discover that the Manor was sold off. My grandparents used to live in Mytchett so walking on the ranges, along the canal and at Deepcut were all standard holiday fare as a kid. When at Gib and the manor I used to love walking around that area as you’d very often come up on deer early in the morning and be able to get incredibly close in the right conditions. It is a beautiful area but definitely not as beautiful as it was when I was there. As I said in my original post, I think it is almost impossible to find anywhere that hasn’t changed so you just have to find a place that suits you now and understand that it too will change over time.

I had a lot of good times there too and was gutted to discover that the Manor was sold off. My grandparents used to live in Mytchett so walking on the ranges, along the canal and at Deepcut were all standard holiday fare as a kid. When at Gib and the manor I used to love walking around that area as you’d very often come up on deer early in the morning and be able to get incredibly close in the right conditions. It is a beautiful area but definitely not as beautiful as it was when I was there. As I said in my original post, I think it is almost impossible to find anywhere that hasn’t changed so you just have to find a place that suits you now and understand that it too will change over time.
We get deer come across the road to the school field from snakey lane nature reserve in the colder weather, they're beautiful to watch but the do like to raid the school allotment 🤪, I love the ranges but do worry about the dogs getting struck by adders in the summer months.

Back