Hello from A Rookie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blucher

Reaction score
Hello all, I just joined the forum (having been a reader several times in the past). Thought it appropriate to introduce myself. First name Bill (but that already taken on the forum so went for my other online name. I live in Cheshire UK(Runcorn), and have been learning the noble art of woodworking over the past couple of years (which I am still learning and probably will be for ever more). I've focused my projects on making a variety of jigs and tools in an attempt to improve the accuracy of my woodworking for the future, as when I retire in two or three years, I want to focus my full attention from a life in Chemical and Oil and Gas Industry, to keeping myself active in making things from wood (love the smell) and enjoying the satisfaction of having something to show for my efforts maybe even sell if I am lucky enough. Still got a long way to go though in becoming proficient as I am very much a learner from books, DVDs, TV Programmes (Norm of NYW is a big favourite of mine) and the wonderful YouTube.
I hope to learn a great deal from you guys, and maybe at some time in the future pass on that knowledge to other newcomers to the Art. In the meantime, I will satisfy myself with just becoming one of the guys and maybe pick your brains a few times for advice if I may. So without further ado Hello and thank you for allowing me to join your company.

G'day Bill and welcome. Sounds like we have a lot in common from work background, age and amount of time as a woodworker. Enjoy the forum.

Welcome aboard from fellow newbie and northerner.

Am sure u will find the sites members informative and helpful.

Bill it might be easier to ask in the turning section. As most of the turners hide in their little corner. Don't think they know how to handle straight ish planks of timber :lol:

Thanks for the advice Carlb40 I have re entered the question there and deleted it from the current topic forum.

Hello and welcome Bill. I also live in Runcorn (small world) and, as you are a turner, give me a shout if you fancy coming to the turning and carving club in Frodsham. It's every other Thursday in the Scout hut. PM me if you're interested. This is a cracking site with loads of friendly members and I'm sure you'll love it.

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome, and to answering my questions so far. A special thanks to Noggsy for the invite to the local club and a meeting morning. Very kind of you. I think I am going to get a great deal of value from this forum, not only in the woodturning section, but (from having a quick scout around last night) also in the many other sections available in general woodwork.

Back