Hello everyone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherw

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Heather and I've been involved in the world of wood off and on for about 25 years. Got my City and Guilds at London College of Furniture, later moved to Spain and set up my own business. About 10 years ago I set up a normal bog-standard (as in not handmade) furniture shop with my partner, and we wound down the workshop,I was suffering from burnout and bad health, and I'd got so I didn't want to see another bit of wood in my life...
A couple of years ago we started keeping chickens and I designed and made a couple of houses for them, and now I'm getting round to doing some other stuff, it's much more enjoyable without clients and deadlines and liaising with other tradesmen. With the economic downturn we're not so busy at work (understatement) so I could have time to mess around a bit and do some turning and inlay and the fiddly stuff I never used to have time for.
Looks like a great mix of people on here, I'm expecting to learn a lot, I've read a couple of years of the turning Forum, and quite a lot of the general as well.
Just dropped the laptop on the floor and it's making funny noises. Hope there's no permanent damage.

Welcome to the forum Heather. You would have to go a long way to find a more loverly lot of looneys than right here. As a group they are as friendly and helpful a lot as could possibly be in one corner of cyberspace. For a real glimpse into the minds of the best obsessive compulsives in captivity , come check out the hand tools ward. Do not feed the inmates with leading questions such as "what is the best plane for use on wood?" The ensuing discussion , while entertaining , is readily available in previous posts. All kidding aside , you will love it here. The gang sports experts to help even experienced woodworkers with the most obscure questions imaginable.

Welcome Aboard Heather,

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Forum, and the occasional 'debate' too.
Help and advice are always at hand; even the well-intentioned, but misguided varieties!

There's even a General Topics area where you can get advice if your lappie is in need of attention. (Hope it's nowt serious.) When you have three posts under your belt, you can post pictures, which are always necessary evidence when you make a claim; such as you made a chicken-run. :mrgreen:
:D

Welcome to the forum Heather. I'm sure you'll enjoy the forum. There's a wealth of experience on here and people willing to help you out.

Nice to see an increase in the number of ladies on here.

Roy.

Thanks everyone, nice to meet you!

Laptop seems to have recovered with some judicious flexing of it's case, so "system has recovered from a serious error" is now a thing of the past. Only the second time I've dropped it in it's 7 years of life.

Back