Hello Everyone!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yan89

Established Member
Reaction score
Now then!

I'm Ian - 32 years old and from Preston originally but now living somewhere between Leeds and York. Bought a house just before lockdown which threw me in at the deep end with regard to DIY - hadn't done anything really prior to that, save for a couple of picture hangings and TV mountings!

Just finished a 2 day beginner's course in woodworking and was recommended this site for, amongst other things, a directory of hobby rooms within timber merchants etc. Saw you had a forum too and thought I'd sign up to hopefully learn more!

Hello Ian and welcome to the forum.
Here you will find a real mine of information and as many opinions
as you can shake a stick at. 😂 Enjoy.
What do you mean by " a directory of hobby rooms within timber merchants", though ?

Hello Ian and welcome to the forum.
Here you will find a real mine of information and as many opinions
as you can shake a stick at. 😂 Enjoy.
What do you mean by " a directory of hobby rooms within timber merchants", though ?
Cheers Daniel

I did send a link to what I was meaning, but it seems I’ve got to wait for a moderator to approve the link. It’s a thread titled ‘UK & Ireland Timber Yards’ and I think it’s been stickied.

I got the impression he just meant it was a list of places you could buy wood from that would also let you cut it to length, or plane/thicknesser etc

Hadn't actually looked for the directory prior to posting, but I think it'll be this he was talking about:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/uk-ireland-timber-yards-please-add-your-favourites.108370/
When I say hobby room, I really mean whether they'll let you use their machines etc.

Thanks
I doubt it with HSE etc.

They will do it for you or you buy machines to do it.

A bigger men's shed might have a suitable machine.

Otherwise it's a no5 scrub plane and smoothing plane!

Back