Hello everyone and some advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailorjack

Established Member
Reaction score
Helloo group
Having just returned from the high seas, i have decided to rekindle my youth (just turned the grand age of 35) and don my woodworking apron from school, sadly i have eaten far too many pies, but my enthusisum for woodworking is still there.
So i have bought myself a bench, a Bandsaw and a chiesel here and there etc. Basically i would like to know what other tools i need to get, in which order etc.
Also the Bandsaw i bought was a Rexon BS3050AL, (first one i saw, seemed ok etc) was this a good buy (£199) but cant seem to find any reviews anywhere, can you help?

cheers
Jack Daniels

Welcome to the forum Jack.

Before we can answer your questions it would help if we knew what sort of work you intend to do.

I am not trying to be awkward but there are so many tools and machines out there, you don't want to waste money by buying something you may only use every now and again.

Regards

Woody

Hi Woody
Well for starters i will be just practising my dove tail joints, but i hope to get onto other projects, ie tables,units,garden furniture etc. Although i do want to construct a summer house for my 3 girls, once im profecient enough with my woodworking of course.

Cheers

Jack

Hi Jack

Welcome to the forum :wink:

Generally as Woody says, it depends.......

I would have to suggest that you probably have nearly enough tools to start with. As you make things you will identify any gaps and can then purchase as neccesary.

When I started out I made my first two projects with a Bosch jigsaw, a panel saw, a black & decker orbital sander, a hammer and and a few files.

These days my collection has grown but only as the need or desire arose.

Assuming you wish to produce furniture, then possible holes in your tools are:
Block plane
Jack plane
tenon saw
Panel saw
Hammers (mallet and 2lb hammer + a small one)
Orbital sander (I like hand sanding with 3M paper but am in the minority here)
Good engineers square
Decent ruler
Marking knife
Router (and table?) + cutters

And as many other things as you could dream of..

The first two projects? Coffee table for our lounge and a large dolls house for my daughter's 4th birthday (she just turned 22 years old)

Cheers

Tony
Who's just realised how time flies :cry:

On top of Tony's list you'll need a good circular saw. Highly recommend the Festool TS55 :wink: and a router, again a festool is the way.

No I don't work for Festool but I wish I did so I can get the whole range for free :twisted:

Thanks for the input,
Regarding the saw, is it worthwhile getting a cheap circular saw and replacing the blade with a better one?

Also does anyone have any basic plans they can direct me to, as i need to start from the basics...

Ta muchly

Jack

sailorjack":2fndv6j3 said:
Thanks for the input,
Regarding the saw, is it worthwhile getting a cheap circular saw and replacing the blade with a better one?

Yes it is - I've replaced the cheapo in my B&D with a very good fine toothed blade. It gives a much better finish. However, you are still limited by the bearing in the saw - if they don't run true you'll never get a decent cut. I'd also look for a saw that has an adjustment screw to provide you with an easily settable 90 degree cut. People here seen to like the Hitachi C7BU which at the moment has a free 40 tooth blade from Axminster. I still haven't convinced myself to get one though to replace the B&D...

HTH,

Pete

People here seen to like the Hitachi

I admit to being a diehard fan of Hitachi tools. They're not flashy, nor gizmofied, but they do just work....and work... and work...reliably.. for donkeys years.

I put my money on the 7BU for some features desirable but not available together on many saws. It's very light, very quiet, has a softgrip handle and best of all - a blade brake, which is just excellent.

But I'm hopelessly biased...so I'll shut up now! :roll:

Ike :)

ike":1n8bc5nh said:
They're not flashy, nor gizmofied,

Not flashy?? Have you seen the latest set of colours for their impact screwdriver (which by the way is a fabulous tool) ? It looks like a ray gun from a Sci-Fi film. and comes in colours like gold - fluorescent orange and purple! It aslo has buit in lights to show you what you are doing.

waterhead37":1wwxe8bc said:
Not flashy?? Have you seen the latest set of colours for their impact screwdriver (which by the way is a fabulous tool) ? It looks like a ray gun from a Sci-Fi film. and comes in colours like gold - fluorescent orange and purple! It aslo has buit in lights to show you what you are doing.
You're telling me. It was the only power tool at Westpoint that literally stopped me in my tracks. Very, er, colourful.
blink.gif

Ike, may I join the C7BU Fan Club too? I appreciate it for all the features you list - I wouldn't be without the blade brake for anything now.

Welcome to the forum, Jack. Big question, lazy me. So instead how about an old thread? Some pearls of wisdom in there that might help.

Cheers, Alf

Welcome Sailor Jack,

you may well want to consider buying some new
bandsaw blades, as the ones that come with a machine
aren't usually of high quality and will be frustrating to use.
'Dure Edge' are well thought of.

TX

Welcome ashore!

You still have to watch out for sharks though!

If your bandsaw cuts wood you have no problems because you would always need to plane down the surface which ever bandsaw has been used if its a finishing surface. This also applies with circular and table saws.

Woodythepecker":3l9ck4ys said:
you don't want to waste money by buying something you may only use every now and again.

Regards

Woody

Where were you when i needed you :)

And a warm welcome

Cheers Me Hearties...

Thanks for all the sound advice and welcomes.

Im gonna make a start building the workbenches to house a table saw,router etc......so dont go too far :wink:

Cheers landlubbers

Jack

sailorjack":37npe1y9 said:
Cheers Me Hearties...

Thanks for all the sound advice and welcomes.

Im gonna make a start building the workbenches to house a table saw,router etc......so dont go too far :wink:

Cheers landlubbers

Jack

So where were you on International Talk Like A Pirate Day? :twisted:

Chris wrote:

Not flashy?? Have you seen the latest set of colours for their impact screwdriver

Nope. I hope it's not the start of a slippery slope into a triumph of style over substance! :evil:

Ike

Lol... Sorry Barry

I was probably under the ocean (being a submariner :lol: )

However i was dressed like one and more than likely smelt like one too :lol:

Jack

D Dubya,

So, if you've got to rip a length of 4x2 down to
2x4x1 for instance, are you saying any old blade
will cut it in half accurately :?

TX

Back