Hello everybody.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Just signed up and thought I'd say hello.

I have found you at the wrong time in my life as I got told last week that I have through health reasons going to have to retire early, so my woodworking activities will be virtually zero.

I will not pretend my knowledge is anywhere near some of the regulars but I might be able to add something useful, I hope so anyway.

I have built up a sizable collection of tools, which I will have to dispose of later in the year, so if it's permitted I will post details on here and is that going to be a sad day.

Anyway that's me and I look forward to chatting to some of you.

Hi, I take it you're a pro then - in what line of the business?

Your choice of username suggests that you can see a small amount of silver lining in the cloud, but my commiserations on the health problems.

Jake

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your health problems.

You can post items for sale, although it may be worth noting that ebay may fetch you a higher price (not sure either way).

The forum has many people asking questions daily, so provides a good way of interacting and transferring knowledge.

Adam

Crikey... not sure how to respond to that one. The usual cheery welcome seems a bit inappropriate. :?

But a warm welcome anyway.

Is there nothing you'll be able to do? I've always thought that projects like small boxes, clocks, etc could be done by anyone. Dimensioning timber might be a bit strenuous but once you get that sorted I should think you could do the fine work and assembly sitting down with a lap tray in a comfy chair.

I was a precision engineer for 40 years (still am for a few weeks), thats the trouble bent over machines 8-10 hours everyday, back completely gone, can't really lift anything with my right arm, apart from that picture of health. I have been given the option of an operation on my arm but a warning that it may make it worse.

Woodworking has always been a good outlet for me and I always enjoyed making furniture.

When compared to engineering, when small mistakes usually result in scrap, more chances of getting out of it with wood, I seem to have become a expert at this.

Sorry to start off full of illness but it's all come to a head fairly recently, so very much on my mind, I'm generally very light hearted, honest.

Thanks for your comments

Welcome, Nomore, and commiserations on the wear and tear taking its toll. Plenty of halt and lame amongst us, so we know how galling it is to be prevented from wood torturing by ill health. :( At least you have an excuse to talk about it instead of doing it; dunno what mine is... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Hi nomoresplinters,

I'm with Pete--don't know if the customary greeting has much meaning, but we all do welcome and commiserate with you.

As Alf says, there are many among us (myself included) that can no longer do as much woodworking (or anything for that matter) as we once did.

You are amongst a bunch of people that will help and support you in this coming phase of your life.

We all welcome and look forward to you relating your experiences, both in woodworking and life.

You didn't ask for and probably don't need any advice, but one tidbit I do offer is take it as slow as you can in making decisions during this time of transition.

All my best, MikeW

Hiya

Welcome on board :). There are plenty of lighter forms of woodworking, such as carving and marquetry which can be carried out quite successfully on a tray and in a reclining position if needs be! Perhaps your unfortunate change in circumstances might open up a new avenue for your talents that you hadn't considered previously.

Sorry to be so optimistic on your behalf ;) :).

Gill

Hi NMS

Welcome aboard. Commiserations on the ill health but hopefully the forum will inspire you do keep involved in woodwork as much as you can.

All the very best

To nomoresplinters;

I have never known anyone whose back didn't eventually respond with time.

Can you honestly say you know someone who never was able to perform some light activity. (with a back problem)

You ought to have seen me 12 years ago I thought I was going to finish up in a wheelchair or something.

You are proberly right, just finding the suitable thing to carry on with.

I have a few ideas mulling over, dolls houses is something I've always fancied and when Norm built the model of the NYW, it gave me the idea of building a model of an engineering workshop, including some machines.

Like has already been said there is always something to get the juices flowing, I can't imagine going through the rest of my life without making something.

Looks like the splinters will carry on after all.

Hi splinters,

Welcome aboard. Sorry to hear of your predicament - pretty shattering to come to terms with, I should imagine.

But in your last post "looks like the splinters will carry on after all" sounds a good, positive start to me. So I'll drop the 'nomore' and just call you 'splinters' from now on. :wink: Hey, and you could call youself that, too!

Cheers,

Trev.

Ya'all shouldn't give up. Sorry to hear about your back troubles. I've fought discs in my neck for thirty years.
There was an article in the last FWW (I think) about a guy in a wheelchair . he was doin some nice stuff and gettin along OK.
I know your brain is still 20. i say fight it and enjoy what ya can. I'm sure you would get plenty of help on here. More than one way to skin a coon

How about some wood turning? You could turn smaller pieces on a small lathe , and could maybe adapt to sit/stand in a way thats comfortable?

Adam

if you go to some of the woodworking shows you might see a chap turning some nice bits and bobs .and he is in a wheelchair ,some years ago i watched a welsh bloke doing wood work and he was good and i mean good,he only had one arm so dont give up find some thing you would like to do and have a go remember the old saying god loves a trier .

ps my wife finds me very trying :roll: :roll:

Thanks everyone for you words and suggestions.

I am going to start making models of buildings etc, with lots of inside detail, I'd forgotten that many years ago I made a model of a old western jail completely fitted out, including pot belly stove with coffee pot and found the whole thing very enjoyable.

Also decided to get a small lathe & milling machine and start making some working models, as you can imagine after all these years, I've accumulated stacks of engineering tools, which if I tried to sell are worthless, so at least I can carry on using them.

All of a sudden the futures looking bright, having to work for a living has definitely held me back for all these years.

Let the fun start.

Hi DW

devonwoody":3f9p7hhc said:
Do you need help in changing the username?
Go to Profile and change to moresplinters

I think you'll find that you can't change your username, it has to be done by Charley.

Cheers
Neil

Back