Hello - and a question about courses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi folks,

I've been lurking here for some time now, enjoying your banter and advice from the other side of the planet (where we dont seem to have such a nice forum to look at). It seems i'm to be visiting the UK in August for a few weeks and am wondering how to fill the time. Check out some pubs and castles, or just find a nice little woodworking course to do. Any recommendations?

I'll be based mainly around Liverpool, possibly heading to Wales or Scotland for a bit of a sticky. Interested in Woodrats (had one for a year or two) and handtool use.

Any help much appreciated

Simon M

Welcome to the forum! Few courses below....

WoodRat Courses

South East England

Ron Fox, Routing and WoodRat courses (one-to-one)

2 Millfield, Southwater, Horsham, Sussex, RH13 7HS

Tel: 01403 730602

South West England

Axminster Power Tools, Devon

One-day courses run by John Perkins, £85 for the day (£20 reduction if
purchasing your WoodRat from Axminster). For bookings or an Information pack contact Ruth Lancaster or Vicky Turner on 01297 33656.

North West England

Speedwell Tools one day course

Speedwell Tools Co. 62-70 Meadow St, Preston, PR1 1SU

Tel: 01772 252951 / Fax: 01772254861

Scotland

William Nyffeler one-to-one tuition

The schoolhouse Isla Road, Newmill, Keith, AB55 6US

Phone: 01542 886232 / Fax: 01542 886232

E-mail: [email protected]

Course prices: £ 85.00 Introduction to jointing with the WoodRat (one day) .

"I want to thank you for putting me in touch with William. While he is an absolute perfectionist, he is also very patient and thorough. "Just OK" is not s phrase in his vocabulary." Carl Brown (from email).

What a small world we are living in

Ron Fox, only lives around the corner from me (literally), never knew that :p

McLuma

synonym":1j5az53n said:
....or just find a nice little woodworking course to do. Any recommendations?
Simon M

For this year it looks like you will have a lot of chices.
If you plan your vacation for next year... what about coming to Italy.
Combine, culture, tourism and, why not Wood turning....
www.Montevento.com
www.la-truciolara.com
:wink: :wink: :wink:

thanks all for the welcome,

Alf - you come from a lovely part of the world - worth travelling to for the right woodworking experience.

Adam - i think Preston is not too far from Liverpool/Crosby where i'll spend some time - anyone done one of their courses? Do they do any more advanced courses?

La Truciolara - courses in Italy, count me in! (well, if the travel budget allows).

Neil - does such a course exist (DC 5 day sharpening)? I mean the man seems keen on the subject, but that would be somewhat extreme. My own experience though suggests that sharpening is where the whole enterprise lives or dies. (either sharpen, or just send out for fresh plane blades on a very regular basis - though the shipping costs from Canada can make this an expensive route.)

Seriously though, can anyone suggest a place/person that does 3-5 day courses in furniture making, preferrrably somewhere cute? Ok that last part didnt sound so serious.

Many thanks

Simon

Hi Simon

synonym":clf024ch said:
Neil - does such a course exist (DC 5 day sharpening)?

Err, yes.

Dates for Summer short courses 2005( David Charlesworth)

May 23rd Starting Right/Tool Tuning NOW FULLY BOOKED
May 30th Starting Right/Tool Tuning NOW FULLY BOOKED
June 13th Starting Right/Tool Tuning NOW FULLY BOOKED
June 20th Dovetails NOW FULLY BOOKED
July 11th Starting Right/Tool Tuning NOW FULLY BOOKED
July 18th Dovetails NOW FULLY BOOKED
August 1st Dovetails NOW FULLY BOOKED
August 8th Drawer Making NOW FULLY BOOKED
August 22nd Starting Right/Tool Tuning NOW FULLY BOOKED

SORRY, ALL PLACES FILLED

www.davidcharlesworth.co.uk

Sorry, I didn't realise they were all full when I suggested the course.

Cheers
Neil

thanks Adam and Neil for those details - either looks just perfect (well, aside from the DC ones being fully booked). I'll have to plan ahead better for those.

The John Lloyd courses also look interesting - i'll have to see how the dates work out. The beginner course coincides with my first week in the UK when i'll be jetlagged and getting ready for a friends wedding. The intermediate course later on works well for dates but could be less than useful given my lowish rankings in the world woodworking stakes. Great food for thought though.

By the way, has anyone up there :)roll: ) misplaced a rugby team? There seems to be one extra down here.:wink:

Simon

synonym":26yh77yr said:
The John Lloyd courses also look interesting - i'll have to see how the dates work out. The beginner course coincides with my first week in the UK when i'll be jetlagged and getting ready for a friends wedding. The intermediate course later on works well for dates but could be less than useful given my lowish rankings in the world woodworking stakes. Great food for thought though.Simon

Best to talk to him, hes very flexible and I'm sure he'd be able to accomodate you regardless of what couse is shown on the website. I think he uses those just as a general "guide".

Adam

Latest posts

Back