Hello, and a beginner's question on M&T joinery.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rhossydd":ro92tfoh said:
chaoticbob":ro92tfoh said:
I'm obviously going blind as well as deaf, can't see a PM button
You won't, being such a new member. I think you need 3 or 5 posts before the PM system is available to you.
Jacob should know better than to proffer the idea of a newcomer using the PM system. In time you'll discover our Jacob has some views that aren't always particularly popular here.
Oooh! No I didn't know that about PMs. I feel no shame!
True some of my views aren't popular with a small number of forum members, presumably including Rhossydd.
There is a lot of nonsense talked about woodwork and I'm keen on the traditional straight and narrow. The new boys are into gadgets and unlimited budgets.

Hi Rob,

Good to hear that your going to try and cut the M&T by hand. Peter Selkers uTube videos are excellent and you certainly can cut a Mortice with a standard chisel. However, it's not that easy, the benefit of a Mortice chisel is that it's thickness is the essence to its utility. Once you have cut a slot initially, the thickness of the chisel ensures that you cannot wander off line. With a standard chisel you have to guide it all the way through. You have to focus on keeping the chisel perpendicular to the wood at all times, not easy but possible. A mortice chisel is also sharpened (Tin hat on for mentioning the war!) with a curved chamfer so that it both cuts in a curve and also is far easier to rock back and dislodge the shaving that has been cut. I would buy a single 3/8" or a 8mm chisel to initially have a go with. The Narex have good reviews, alternatively there are lots of cheap second hand ones to be picked up. The size I've suggested is circa 1/3 of standard 2"X1" or 50 x 25mm which is great for lots of get you started projects. If you were to add say a 5/8" at some point you can make a lot of stuff without any further expense required.

I have learnt a lot from Jacob over the years, he has saved me from making expensive errors of judgement on a number of occasions. My recommendation, is never to take the advise of any one contribute as being fact, we all have different views and I would recommend you to read a number of threads, or views in a thread you start and make your own mind up about a subject / topic. Generally, the views tend to either coincide or form two camps, you will need to decide which fits your style of doing things best.

Hi and welcome.
My advice if you want it......
Use the practical advice if it suits your purpose and ignore the personal digs some people like to get in.
Most here are as good as gold.

Thanks for all your advice. Deema, I hadn't realised that the extra thickness of mortice chisels helps keeping on line. I watched Paul Sellers' video on chopping with a normal chisel and thought that this was perhaps one of those things that look dead easy when someone who knows what they're doing is doing it, but maybe not so for me ... I'll get a couple of Narex chisels and have a go. Thanks for that. So much to learn!

Jacob was kind enough to give me an hour or so of his time in his workshop, which really focussed my thinking about the projects I have in mind. I have looked at a lot of internet stuff, but it's no substitute for reality.

With luck the builder will arrive in early Jan to sort out the dungeon which will become my workshop. When he asked if I wanted the windows in wood or uPVC I said I was going to make them myself. Wood obviously. Gulp! So I have a target.

n0legs, yes I'm here for practical advice. Not at all interested in popularity contests, if it works for me, it works.

Best Regards, Rob

chaotic bob":1ed6vrcn said:
With luck the builder will arrive in early Jan to sort out the dungeon which will become my workshop. When he asked if I wanted the windows in wood or uPVC I said I was going to make them myself. Wood obviously. Gulp! So I have a target.

Riiiiinnnngg!! Do I hear a faint alarm bell ringing?

chaotic bob":1ed6vrcn said:
I've recently moved to a house which needs a bit doing to it - new kitchen, new doors and windows etc. The place has around 550 sq. ft. of dry(ish) cellarage, so obviously workshop potential for both metal and wood. I have persuaded SWMBO that it makes economic sense for me to set up a modest woodworking shop and do the work myself.

Apart from simply making up a wooden frame and sticking a pane of glass in it does anyone know of any regulations that the OP may fall foul of,i.e. type of glass, placement etc?

If anyone knows of any it might be better if he knew them up front.

Hi Nigel, the window openings are already there, but have been bricked up (with breezeblocks, so in recent times). I should have said the cellar has one wall above ground level, which is where the windows and two doors (one bricked up) are located. The chap I buy glass from always subjects me to a thorough interrogation as to what I'm going to do with it, how high up it's going to be etc, so should be alright there. He's quite officious actually, you can't just buy a lump of glass, oh no!
Because the house is in a conservation area anything that affects the external appearance of the building has to have planning permission, so if I go by the book I'll have to submit drawings etc to the council who would doubtless advise. They'll have to be in a Georgian style. Some Googling will be required.
Thanks for raising the issue though,
Regards, Robin.

Ah, that's all right then.

You sometimes see posts where people need to replace windows and they need specific types of glass etc and I didn't want you to get caught out.

It looks like you've already got some good sources of advice. :)

I hope Jacob won't mind me posting this and therefore foisting a job on him, but,,,

He has posted a superb window-making episode from his workshop. Given that you are close, 'the ould man' must be aware of the vagaries of your conservation area planning dept? I think you should make that call to his place (bearing a packet of Jaffa cakes of course). Just don't mention sharpening :-"

Sam, who admired the windows very much.

+1 for the Paul Sellers videos. I'm a complete newbie myself and have decided I'd like to get into woodworking too. I'm currently teaching myself to create mortice and tenons using Paul's methods. Having never done them before and attempting to do it in 4x2s in preparation for building a bench it's going OK. I'm going to keep practicing in the scrap wood until I'm completely happy though. I used the splitting technique that Paul demonstrates on the test tenons I've cut and it works well. I bought some cheapish Stanley bevel edge chisels with through tangs to wallop for cutting the mortices and after flattening and sharpening they've worked well too. Do proper mortice chisels make much of a difference?
Good luck with it :)

Sam, (or anyone) can you point me in the direction of Jacob's window build thread? Tried a site search, but so much stuff turned up it would take me a long time to track it down. I did visit Jacob's shop before Xmas, he was kind enough to give me a short demo of hand chopping a mortice and making a tenon using a bandsaw. I shall obviously have to mention sharpening to him now, just to find out...

On the regulations front I think I understand PP issues for the windows, but hadn't thought about building control, specifically insulation. Hmm.

t0ne - good to hear you're having success with the Paul Sellers methods, I've not yet had time put chisel to timber yet what with Xmas stuff, but it's reassuring to know someone in much the same position as me is making progress. I assume you're embarking on the workbench build he documents in a series of his videos. That is going to be my first project too. I really like the guy's down to earth style.

Regards, Rob

That looks like a fascinating build and those windows are beautiful, would love to see more Jacob.
Rob, yes I'm building a workbench following his method. I love the down-to-earth way Paul Sellers teaches things and he has got great skills. I've just spent a very enjoyable evening working up a sweat planing my newly laminated workbench top.

cheers,
Tony.

Back