Hello all

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello to all on this site, Im a new guy to the world of woodworking and this site has been a real help.
:D
I have only made one peace of work at this moment, and I am in the middle of making a table in ash and walnut. I have some pics but don't know how to upload them :? .

Anyway keep up the good work and hope to show you all my work soon:oops: , be gentle with me.
SCOTT :D

Welcome aboard Scott :D

Cheers
Scott

....eh, where'd all the Scotts come from? :lol:

Hiya Scott and welcome to the forum. Hope you get the project posted here soon

Ok hope this works :oops:

As I said this is my first real go at woodwork, im no were near what you guys can do
col275.jpg
[/img]
col277.jpg
[/img]

Scotty":26ul627b said:
Ok hope this works :oops:

As I said this is my first real go at woodwork, im no were near what you guys can do

Really? I think that is very nice and would be pleased if I had done one like that as a first project. :D

I am glad the picture posting work OK, I love seeing what other people are making. :roll:

Thank you.

It was my first but I made some real cock ups along the way. My tutor helped me out a lot, because sometimes I thought all was lost :( but he showed me how to put things right.

And thank you for the link it did work :D

I'd be happy if that was my last project....Excellent.

Noel

I made the stool in evening class, we have to make three pieces this was my first. A guy on the course brought in some books and I saw this oak stool, it looked pretty strait forward but I would soon learn that nothing is in woodwork :shock: .

We have to use two different woods on our projects, I had some wood in my house that was left over from renovation work we were having done.
We had an old fire place taken out and the wood that was around it was painted, so I never knew what it was. The builder said it was old cheap wood and that he would take it away, so just to be shure I took some in to show my tutor. As you can guess I had a bit of a shock :shock: .

He told me it was mahogany so I use some of it with some oak to make the stool. I made templates for the sides out of plywood, I would rarther mess those up than the real thing. Even though I had made the templates I still made some big cock ups, I don't know how but I managed to cut the mortices to low on the one side. But my tutor showed me how to patch it up and it came out alright, you can still see it but the joint is still strong.

I also set the wrong depth on the thicknesser, so thats why the bottom piece is thinner than the top :oops: .

The two large sides have a groove in them for the lower top to slide along, it has a dowel set in it, and the bottom step has a groove that runs along the dowel. There are little stop blocks at all four corners of the bottom step, this made the final assemble a bit tricky.

I haven't tryed many different finishes I used danish oil on this stool. I put on about five or six coats with a light sanding in between. For the final coat I dipped a flat scourer pan in the oil and rubbed it down. The finish was like glass and it still feels smooth today. I like a natural finish so if any of you have any tips and different products I can use I would be most grateful.

I have some working progress pics of my table, if you would like to see them let me know. Hope I haven't sent you all to sleep I can go on a bit. :oops:
SCOTT

Hi Scott,

A hearty welcome to another from the Principality. :wink:

That's quite something for a first project. Don't tell anybody that the bottom being thinner than the top was a mistake - put it down to a design feature! :lol:

Look forward to seeing pics of your table in progress.

Cheers,

Trev.

Welcome aboard Scotty... nice project btw..

just a thought... lower table needs a thinner top... it's all about maintaining proportions yea..??

:wink:

Welcome Scott,

As others have said that's a great first piece and you have obviously learnt a lot. I look forward to seeing your progress in future work.

Hi Scott

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Welshman.

Your first project is looking really good. What are your other two projects?

Cheers
Neil

Welcome to the forum, Scott.

Heck of a good first piece, and lucky find of the mahogany. Yep, "design opportunities" are something we're all familiar with. And tend to stay familiar with... :roll: :lol:

Scotty":3gmqtsn9 said:
Hope I haven't sent you all to sleep I can go on a bit. :oops:
Trust me, they're well-trained to read longer posts... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Thank you for the welcome guys :D .

Here are some working progress pics of my table. Its an ash frame and the top is going to be in walnut. Its not a lot at the moment but I will take some more pics this week. Im going to be cutting dovetails :( in the bottom rails for some walnut cross pieces along with some ash.

Me and dovetails don't get on :cry: but im not going to let them beat me :) . SCOTT :D
col072.jpg
[/img]
col076.jpg
col197.jpg
[/img]
col193.jpg
col194.jpg
[/img]
col200.jpg

Back