Hello again! and bathroom cabinet build query.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicMan

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
You probably didn't notice but I've been off the forum for a few months, mainly because I was finishing a geriatric PhD thesis in musicology. As one does. But that is done now (but not dusted as I'm waiting for the viva) and turning my thoughts to some house refurbishment.

Given my age (81) and various consequent physical issues I am now only making small/medium things. I don't have the physical strength now to make and manage large cabinets. The ones I am thinking of are
(1) 1.64 m wide, 0.85 m high and 0.5 m deep, able to take shallow or on-top sink. It should have 4 drawers across and 3 high except that under the sink there should be a single cupboard for cleaning stuff. Top should be quartz, sink and taps by agreement. The drawers should be good quality with full height sides, not those skimpy low sides that things fall out of, with double extension ball slides to open fully.
(2) a medicine etc cabinet to be wall mounted above this, 1.64 m wide, 0.2 m deep and 0.9 m high, 4 cupboards (matching the divisions of the cabinet below) all with mirror fronts.
All bathroom-compatible finish and materials. The rather cheap Homebase units that I am replacing are falling apart and the drawers are low quality but they have lasted 15 years.

I know some here make this stuff professionally and I've seen some excellent examples on here. Is anyone interested in quoting me for this? I do want a good pro job. There's some nice bespoke cabinets available on Etsy - maybe even by someone here - and that gives a benchmark of what I am after.

I'm located in Warwick and ability to install (happy to help) would be a plus. Please PM me to express interest.

Cheers
Keith

Hi Keith, good to see you back. Have you thought about making the cabinets in the style of what was called a barristers bookcase. They were designed to be carried by a minion from chambers to the courtroom full of books and are designed to stack together. They would have top hinges to lift them and slide into the case under the top panel. They would be more managable for you to make and install.

example below

1643148982142.png

You can take a lot of the hasstle out of it if you order parts. Theres a place called cutwrights that do mfc etc, ( in fact, search egger or krono and you'll find a few ) you just send them the sizes of the components you need, then joint them yourself. ( dowels / domino etc )
Drawer boxes with runners are also fairly simple. Bullers do solid beech up to 185mm ( from memory ) tall sides. They turn up as a kit, takes minutes to put together.

Attachments

• 20220107_171416.jpg
    20220107_171416.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 15
Back