Helix Metal Desktop Pencil Sharpener

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a pica dry convert. Its about the only pencil I have not managed to loose within a day or two.
Its the holster thing that helps.

Ollie.
which one do you have? - I'm a bit confused as to which does what - scrub that I've just watched it being used on YouTube

Last edited:
you use them in the workshop??
My kids are past the MuckD phase, But I bet there are boxes of them in the loft somewhere!

I love sharpening crayons with a pencil sharpener. It's a lovely sensation.... I'm getting therapy for it:LOL::LOL:

Don't they have those anymore? or are you just meaning in the times of covid?
Just during the pandemic....or did they replace them with pens before then?? I look forward to when I can go into Screwfix and browse the catalogue again.

Happy New Year everyone.

Tried all types of sharpeners over the years and by FAR the best one I have is the current on I have.

It's an M & R Grenade.

Not much to look at, just a plain brass knerled drum with a blade, however it has a lovely weight to it and sharpens fantastically well every time.

You can buy replacement blades, however I must have sharpened literally 1000's of times with no problems and think you could just remove the blade and a few swipes over a fine stone would do it if needed.

Sharpen from totally blunt (or snapped lead) to a pinpoint in around 10 seconds and if I lost it I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Very highly recommended.

Regards
Phil

Thanks for that Phil, I have also ordered a couple of them.

https://www.londongraphics.co.uk/sharpener-single-hole-brasscylinder

Just during the pandemic....or did they replace them with pens before then?? I look forward to when I can go into Screwfix and browse the catalogue again.
thought you were going to say browse the free pencil selection :)

you use them in the workshop??
My kids are past the MuckD phase, But I bet there are boxes of them in the loft somewhere!

I love sharpening crayons with a pencil sharpener. It's a lovely sensation.... I'm getting therapy for it:LOL::LOL:
I bought our Rapesco brand desktop sharpener at the bootsale and when I got it home it wouldnt work,,all seemed to be okay except that the pencle was being prevented from touching the cutter spiral,,turned out to be a very small slug of coloured pencil “lead” which being soft breaks off and holds the pencil sligtly out,,not sure what would happen if I put actual Crayons through it,,,
Another vote for desktop sharpeners btw,,they seem to be something thats a pleasure to use.

Tip: IKEA has the same pencils - just as good . . . and the same price ;)

It's always handy to have some Screwfix or Ikea pencils with you as they don't leave a coloured mark on the wall when you use them for scribing like other pencils do (y)

Well done to Mikej460 and Pryere on your purchase!

Seeing as you both ordered one I thought it would be rude not to order another for myself aswell!!!

Regards
Phil

I've seen many on videos using mechanical (propelling) pencils - any suggestions from you wise folk? They need to be supported far enough from the body to mark through guides.

yeah. ikea ask for the penicls back, but i would be willing to put money on the fact they get less than 50% back.

a few always fall into my pockets when i go, in fact its just like free samples you used to get in the shops!!!

apparently the carpenters pencils are not round so they do not roll when placed on an angled surface. I use them when I am doing rough marking out and want a thicker line.
Whenever I get out a new pencil, I tear off around 50mm of masking tape and fold it around the flat end making a 'flag'. This stops it rolling off the table and also stops disappearing down the pencil pocket in my apron/overalls when it has been converted into a 'stub'.

Back