Height of Surface Planer tables.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Page

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a golden rule for determining the best and most convenient height of a surface planer relative to the height of the user?
Or, doesn't it really matter?
Fred.
Kington
Herefordshire.

Welcome to the forum, Fred.

I have a feeling, up to a point, it doesn't matter. Jointers seem to be one of those things that are placed to be convenient to other machines; often next door but below the table saw level in 'Murrican shops. I would imagine that you'd want a height able to give good downward pressure and control - might be worth seeing what height jointers on cabinets are sold at too. A cursory glance through all-too-many "Workshop" books came up with not much, fwiw.

Cheers, Alf

Having blundered myself with the height of some workshop items, if you have a smallish workshop I would recommend you check the height of other items such as the table saw such that your workpiece can overlap if necessary when manoeuvering or machining.
HTH

John

welcome to the nuthouse Fred.With the professional machines they are generally made to the same height which is set +/- a cm or 2 [iirc]at 850mm high by HSE and its European counterpart.Why for the workers safety of lifting heavy timbers to machining height.
In my present workshop I made made to measure pallets for each machine -
Table saw,planer,jointer,mortiser and fret saw. This enables me to move all by a pallet truck to new positions when the need arises.
So you may find it useful to pop along to your nearest dealer and measure the heights of the various machines you want.
All the best from Grey A'dam.

Thanks to those who answered for kind welcome to this forum and useful suggestions.
I went to the Axminster catalogue and from the total height (CT150) subtracted the fence height and lo and behold got the table height that by intuition I'd chosen.
If kick-back happens I shall take the blow in the softest parts but not in the most vital.
Thanks for your replies.
Fred.

Back