Hegner variable speed....varying?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilljc

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been a hegner owner for a good few years now, and love them... but...
My 2013 2se started giving me problems quite a while ago, it is losing speed/power erratically. When it first started doing it, it appeared to be a loose wire connector in the switch, now reconnected, but it's driving me nuts now. Still does it occasionally, the wire is no longer loose, but it seems to help if I take the switch cover off and glare at it 🤷‍♀️
I'm not sure if I can replace the switch myself, it looks awfully complicated in there, and with the cast iron table it's a heavy beast to post off to hegner for a look see.
Has anyone else experienced this issue? My previous saw was a 20year old variable speed hegner, and I only swapped for the upgrade.

Last edited:
No idea myself, mate, sorry. But suggest you try member here "scrimper". He's not only owned Hegners for years, but is/was also a domestic appliances (Hoovers, etc) bloke. If he doesn't turn up here soon, suggest you send him a PM (sorry, "PM" is the old software's name for Private Messages).

As you're new here, the new software calls them "Conversations" - look for the little picture of an envelope up in the TOP RH corner (next to the magnifying glass and the bell) right up at the top of your screen.

HTH

Not sure from your post which model of saw you have, presume it is a variable speed version?
Firstly I don't have much experience on Hegner saws apart from the one I own which is a multicut 2S variable speed model.
Hegners saws use induction type motors which are much more reliable and vibration free compared to the carbon brush type universal motors but whereas the carbon brush motors are easy to have their speed controlled electronically (even as an addition later) Induction motor speed control is more complex and is part of the motor.
If you have a problem with motor and or control you should probably be talking to Hegner themselves.

Now if you have an issue with the little switch that turns the machine on and off the same as the one on my machine it is simple and cheap to replace.

You mentioned a loose wire, well a faulty switch could give a similar intermittent problem, the switches fitted to these machines (unless changed since my model) are a silly little switch with tiny contacts which are bound to fail over time, in fact if you look inside a faulty switch you will wonder how it managed to last so long.

It's a tiny cheap rocker switch that is commonly fitted to lot's of small electrical items such as hair-dryers etc. when mine failed I looked on the Hegner site and was shocked to see that they wanted over £20 plus post and packing for one which is quite ridiculous as you can buy these switches easily from many places for around £1.00, (yes I pound!) In my case being a scrimper I had several spare ones that I had salvaged from other equipment which I fitted in a few minutes and it is still working fine now after many years use.

The little switches are called 'mini rocker switches' and are easy to obtain, lots are on ebay for sale. to give you an idea at how cheap they are electronics supplier CPC sell them for 54pence +P&P but most electrical spares shops sell them. A picture of the switch fitted most Hegners is below.

So in conclusion I would say check the switch and wiring if they are OK I would speak to Hegner about the problem.

Sorry I can not offer much help, it's tricky diagnosing electrical issue without being able to look at them properly.
SW03237-40.jpg

Hi scrimper, thanks for your help. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.
I'm guessing that I have a faulty connection somewhere, which is going to be hard to pin down. I did speak with hegner early on, they thought I could replace the unit, but I've looked in there, it looks complicated 🤣
Its the 2se which has the cast iron table, so it's a monster to post back for inspection. I have replaced switches on my bandsaw and my thicknesser, simple enough, but I'm daunted by the scrollsaw. I will need to sort it out though as I'm now scrolling for my keep, and an intermittent fault is a real pain.
Gill

I suspect the variable resistor (potentiometer) needs replacing.
Pretty simple if you can solder and are practically oriented. If not find a local friend!
NB I'm at the other end of the country

Thanks, have no idea what that means, but I will look it up. I've never soldered before, but if I can't do it I know a man who can, although he does seem to hide now when I ask his advice, things always seem to end up being more difficult than they appear 🤣

Thanks, have no idea what that means, but I will look it up. I've never soldered before, but if I can't do it I know a man who can, although he does seem to hide now when I ask his advice, things always seem to end up being more difficult than they appear 🤣
It will be the part that moves inside when you turn the speed control knob. Not only does it need to be the correct resistance but mechanically it needs to fit as well. Buying the spare part from Hegner will guarantee the correct past but could be expensive compared with buying it as a standard part which it almost certainly will be. if you don't know what you are looking for then scouring suppliers could be difficult. As you are earling a living from scrolling, the expenditure on machine maintenance will be an allowable business expense by HMRC

Looking at hegner spare parts they only supply complete controllers at silly money.
There is also a feedback speed sensor which is fitted onto the motor. If this is loose you could experience variations as it moves.
If it is the controller, the best option would be to get your practical friend on the job.

Gill before you do anything drastic I would try checking that little switch I mentioned, they are crappy little things and are not made of the same quality as the Hegner made parts. They are dirt cheap anyway so you won't lose much if it does not solve your problem. It's not difficult or complicated to change, takes but a few minutes.

Thanks guys, I'll have a look and see what I can do, fingers crossed I can fix it easily 🤞

Gill before you do anything drastic I would try checking that little switch I mentioned, they are crappy little things and are not made of the same quality as the Hegner made parts. They are dirt cheap anyway so you won't lose much if it does not solve your problem. It's not difficult or complicated to change, takes but a few minutes.

Been distracted doing my tax return, but back on the saw today, this morning it was playing up, so while I'm waiting for new switch to arrive I swapped over the wires onto the two spare prongs on the switch. Scrolled for 3 hours and so far it's behaving itself 🤞hoping that's it sorted, although it seems too easy 🤣
Thanks to everyone who commented, much appreciated.

Back