Hegner Multicut 1

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although your Q is directed at scrimper, and although I don't own a Hegner, I can assure you that subject to blade (see above posts in this thread, and the sticky at the top of this section re blade type, etc) yes, the Hegner will definitely cut 12 mm ply.

AES knows more about the hobby than I do and what he says is 100% correct in regard to cutting 12mm plywood. however in your post you mention stack cutting 2 x 12mm plys together and although many scroll-saws will cope with this it will be quite hard work and I would not want to do much cutting with work this thick, 24mm is quite thick for a scroll-saw although it's not too bad with softwood.

When I have made parts for my whirligigs using hardwood's such as Oak or Beech around 1inch (25mm) thick the saw does struggle a bit and I am glad when I have finished the cutting.

As AES mentions the type of blade used makes quite a difference. :)

I’m thinking of getting a scroll Scrimper, and wondered what thickness I could cut on one, could I cut 12 mm plywood or stack cut two pieces of 12 mm plywood many thanks, I think you are great with the help you give to us beginners. 👍
You are very kind with your comment, however I must say that there are a lot of members here far more experienced than myself who offer a huge amount of help to beginners. There are some very helpful decent people who post here. :)

AES knows more about the hobby than I do

Well scrimper, thanks VERY much for the compliment, but I'm not sure that's true! Unfortunately he's gone away now, and removed his posts as well, but member Claymore really DID produce some superb work. I'm certainly NOT up to that standard, NOR do I approach your own level of skill when it comes to fretwork either, Sir. But thanks for the compliment anyway.

What I've tended to do is all sorts of jobs which on the face of it, have little to do with "traditional" scroll saw work - like bits (mainly THICK ply) for the kids pedal car I'm (still) making. AND such things as dust extractor/hose adaptors as an example of other "non-scroll saw" work.

But to get back to the question raised by Rustic Mike, my own machine (an Excali 21) will take all sorts of blades, including bits of broken band saw blades, and mine will cut thick stuff - 26/7 mm is the most I've cut with mine. BUT as scrimper says, it IS slow work, and I don't know if the Hegner can be persuaded to take, e.g. band saw blades. Scrimper will know I'm sure.

But whatever the blade and machine, my guess is that 2 x 12 mm is pushing it a bit, and IF possible, you'd be better off doing that thickness with a small band saw or even a jig saw - OR, of course, cutting your 2 x 12s out twice! :whistle: (sorry)!

HTH

Well scrimper, thanks VERY much for the compliment, but I'm not sure that's true! Unfortunately he's gone away now, and removed his posts as well, but member Claymore really DID produce some superb work. I'm certainly NOT up to that standard, NOR do I approach your own level of skill when it comes to fretwork either, Sir. But thanks for the compliment anyway.

What I've tended to do is all sorts of jobs which on the face of it, have little to do with "traditional" scroll saw work - like bits (mainly THICK ply) for the kids pedal car I'm (still) making. AND such things as dust extractor/hose adaptors as an example of other "non-scroll saw" work.

But to get back to the question raised by Rustic Mike, my own machine (an Excali 21) will take all sorts of blades, including bits of broken band saw blades, and mine will cut thick stuff - 26/7 mm is the most I've cut with mine. BUT as scrimper says, it IS slow work, and I don't know if the Hegner can be persuaded to take, e.g. band saw blades. Scrimper will know I'm sure.

But whatever the blade and machine, my guess is that 2 x 12 mm is pushing it a bit, and IF possible, you'd be better off doing that thickness with a small band saw or even a jig saw - OR, of course, cutting your 2 x 12s out twice! :whistle: (sorry)!

HTH
Thanks for your help ladles and jelly spoons you have helped me a lot. 👍

Well scrimper, thanks VERY much for the compliment, but I'm not sure that's true!

HTH
You are much too modest, the words I wrote are true.

That is the joy of a scroll-saw which many people fail to realise and that is that these saws are not just for Fretwork they are very good general purpose saws that are very useful in the workshop. My saw gets used a lot more for general tasks than it does for Fretwork. IMHO they are as useful as a small bandsaw.

You are much too modest, the words I wrote are true.

That is the joy of a scroll-saw which many people fail to realise and that is that these saws are not just for Fretwork they are very good general purpose saws that are very useful in the workshop. My saw gets used a lot more for general tasks than it does for Fretwork. IMHO they are as useful as a small bandsaw.

OK scrimper, thanks again. BTW, I agree with you 100% about a scroll saw (just about any scroll saw) being as useful (almost) as a small band saw-

I have a Hegner Multicut and can't fault it. If you can scrape the pennies together I would recommend the hold down arm that Hegner sell. It takes away that white knuckle feeling of keeping constant pressure on the workpiece. I also replaced the cheap plastic tube from the bellows with a piece of articulated tube available everywhere online.

I have a Hegner Multicut and can't fault it. If you can scrape the pennies together I would recommend the hold down arm that Hegner sell. It takes away that white knuckle feeling of keeping constant pressure on the workpiece.
Sorry to be a killjoy but IMHO hold down arms not only get in the way they are entirely unnecessary. I have never used or needed one and in my videos I always advise beginners to remove them. holding the work down as you cut soon becomes second nature. :)

Back