• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Hegner Multicut 1

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

xiphidius

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2017
Messages
128
Reaction score
0
Location
Magheralin, Craigavon
Hi
This is my first posting on the forum as I'm about to purchase an entry level Hegner Scrollsaw (Hegner Multicut 1 Scrollsaw 230V 100W £359.99...hopefully that includes VAT)..I'm a newbie to the hobby and I am certainly not a professional wood tradesman...but I do have a keen interest in making toys etc from wood. I would prefer to go with a Hegner rather than a cheaper more readily available saw because of so many reviews warning of the pitfalls of purchasing an inferior product...My question would be ..am I doing the right thing, are the Hegner saws reliable and offer good value for money....any help and advice appreciated...Regards Colin
 

Ring

Established Member
Joined
18 Oct 2005
Messages
354
Reaction score
1
Location
Scotland
Yes to both I bought my Hegner last year and not had a problem at all well worth it but others with more Experience [Claymore] will better advise you.
Jim
 

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Joined
11 Oct 2014
Messages
8,399
Reaction score
164
Location
cyprus
Hegner's are only a problem when they are very old because the spares seem to be made by rolls royce, with prices to match.
But they very rarely break even when old.

But you have a whole learning curve ahead of you with the scroll saw blades! Good luck.
 

scrimper

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2007
Messages
1,159
Reaction score
74
Location
Glos England
Have been a scroll saw user for 30 years and own 3 scroll saws inc a Hegner which I purchased in 1999.

So here is my take on your predicament if it's any help to you.

Build quality of Hegner is about as good as it gets, reliability is also about as good as it gets but as sunny bob mentions if you do have a problem (highly unlikely) spare part prices are horrendous.

My Hegner Multicut 2s variable has been brilliant, it's had regular and extended use for 17 years and hase been used also by 2 clumsy grandchildren (9 and 13) only thing that has caused trouble was the simple on/off switch which cost 75pence (not a Hegner part).

My essentials for buying a saw for serious fretwork/scroll work are below.

1]Quick release blade
2]Quick release tension lever
3]Variable speed
4]Induction motor

Depends what you are planning to do with the saw but if it's fretwork with internal cutting the 1 and 2 are essential 3 is extremely useful for delicate work or when a beginner and 4 results in a quieter more vibration free experience, plus induction motors are extremely reliable.

Not a fan of the multicut 1 TBH but I appreciate the 2s range do cost a heck of a lot more. have you looked at the Axminster AWFS18 which seems to be a clone Hegner copy and has most of the 4 mentioned points apart from the quick release blade clamp but I understand the Hegner one can be purchased and used with it. It's also about £300 cheaper than the equivalent Hegner model. http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... saw-501201
 

philfoot

Established Member
Joined
17 Sep 2007
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys

Like a lot of guys on here I too am walking around thinking which is the best scroll saw to purchase but staying within a budget. I want a starter model, but a good one, i already wasted money on my very first one, i dont want to do it again.

A heck of a lot of comments are about on the net, but often the commments conflict.

My, and possibly a lot of others, top 2 are the :


Axminster Trade Series AWFS18 Scroll Saw at £460.96 (a price rise has taken place by the look of it)

or


Hegner Multicut 1 Variable Speed Scrollsaw 230V HM-1V at £479.99

So if you were faced with the opportunity to purchase one of these models which would be your first choice and why.

Who knows i may make my mind up soon and get down to mastering the machine I decided to purchase.

Your help / advice is welcomed

Kind regards

Phil
 

scrimper

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2007
Messages
1,159
Reaction score
74
Location
Glos England
philfoot":2ajvrynq said:
My, and possibly a lot of others, top 2 are the :
Axminster Trade Series AWFS18 Scroll Saw at £460.96 (a price rise has taken place by the look of it)
or
Hegner Multicut 1 Variable Speed Scrollsaw 230V HM-1V at £479.99
So if you were faced with the opportunity to purchase one of these models which would be your first choice and why.
Not sure if my post in this thread is visible to you? But I have actually given my view on both machines you mention in the post above yours! :eek:
 

philfoot

Established Member
Joined
17 Sep 2007
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Hi Scrimper

You are spot on i can see your post, and you are right you have answered my question, now all i need to do is have a sleep in a dark room so i dont keep on askng the same question.

Many thanks for your viewpoint, you can see its getting to me, so the points you have raised are very valid, and i suppose its make your mind up time for me.

Thanks again

Kind regards

Phil
 

Lons

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2010
Messages
7,828
Reaction score
497
Location
Northumberland
philfoot":e98zuyle said:
Hi Guys

Like a lot of guys on here I too am walking around thinking which is the best scroll saw to purchase but staying within a budget. I want a starter model, but a good one, i already wasted money on my very first one, i dont want to do it again.

A heck of a lot of comments are about on the net, but often the commments conflict.

My, and possibly a lot of others, top 2 are the :


Axminster Trade Series AWFS18 Scroll Saw at £460.96 (a price rise has taken place by the look of it)

or


Hegner Multicut 1 Variable Speed Scrollsaw 230V HM-1V at £479.99

So if you were faced with the opportunity to purchase one of these models which would be your first choice and why.

Who knows i may make my mind up soon and get down to mastering the machine I decided to purchase.

Your help / advice is welcomed

Kind regards

Phil
I had exactly that choice to make a few months ago and I chose the Hegner 1 vs.
I love it, everything I could want in a scrollsaw, unless I had been able to justify the 2 vs that is !
I found the Hegner people great to deal with though of course they wanted a sale but when I asked if they could offer an incentive they threw in a quick change adapter.

Bob
 

scrimper

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2007
Messages
1,159
Reaction score
74
Location
Glos England
philfoot":1or5vtyv said:
Hi Scrimper

You are spot on i can see your post, and you are right you have answered my question, now all i need to do is have a sleep in a dark room so i dont keep on askng the same question.

Many thanks for your viewpoint, you can see its getting to me, so the points you have raised are very valid, and i suppose its make your mind up time for me.

Thanks again

Kind regards

Phil
Lol don't worry I am used writing the same stuff regularly, not sure if anyone is interested in reading it though! :lol:
 

scrimper

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2007
Messages
1,159
Reaction score
74
Location
Glos England
Lons":osw2qr92 said:
I had exactly that choice to make a few months ago and I chose the Hegner 1 vs.
I love it, everything I could want in a scrollsaw, unless I had been able to justify the 2 vs that is !
I found the Hegner people great to deal with though of course they wanted a sale but when I asked if they could offer an incentive they threw in a quick change adapter.

Bob
Good move that, IMHO the quick blade change adaptor is 100% essential especially if one is doing work with lot's of internal cuts, one of my pieces recently had 126 internal cuts, imagine fiddling with that infernal allen key every time.
 

xiphidius

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2017
Messages
128
Reaction score
0
Location
Magheralin, Craigavon
Thank you Guys for taking the time to post on this thread...you have all been very helpful, appreciated..
I would love the variable speed version but I'm afraid my budget just wont stretch at the moment..Hegner have come back to me with a price quote of £370 inclusive of VAT and delivery to Northern Ireland which is a fair price and I may add on the Quick Release mechanism..any thoughts on this
Regards
C
 

scrimper

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2007
Messages
1,159
Reaction score
74
Location
Glos England
xiphidius":1l0459ei said:
Would this be a good addition at time of purchase
I may be wrong but I don't think it will work with the multicut one. You should consult Hegner before ordering it. I am not fully conversant with the Multicut 1 but I understand it has a tension lever at the back of the arm now. But do check before buying!
 

Lons

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2010
Messages
7,828
Reaction score
497
Location
Northumberland
scrimper":2xuz1jbg said:
xiphidius":2xuz1jbg said:
Would this be a good addition at time of purchase
I may be wrong but I don't think it will work with the multicut one. You should consult Hegner before ordering it. I am not fully conversant with the Multicut 1 but I understand it has a tension lever at the back of the arm now. But do check before buying!
Yes mine has the lever on the back arm which does the same thing as far as I know. I don't have a problem releasing blade tension.
 

xiphidius

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2017
Messages
128
Reaction score
0
Location
Magheralin, Craigavon
I found the Hegner people great to deal with though of course they wanted a sale but when I asked if they could offer an incentive they threw in a quick change adapter.
I may try this one as I might opt for the variable speed version and throw this in as a bargaining chip against the std model
Let you know how I get on.
I was tempted by the Axminister model but after reading reviews about rollers breaking after only a few hours of use is not what I want to hear nor do I want to be self modifying a brand new piece of machinery at circa £500
 

xiphidius

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2017
Messages
128
Reaction score
0
Location
Magheralin, Craigavon
Thanks Brian.
that throws that up in the air again lol; £449.95 inc free delivery from Axminster Ebay shop
I could buy some cheap brand but been down that route before and it dont work.... something to think about.
I read one review about the Axminster table surface being rough and caused drag..any truth in this..just nitpicking here but £500 is a big deal to me and I want to make the right choice ..
What is the aftersales like at Axminster and do they throw in any blades with the new purchase

Ah this could be a game changer quote from their site.

From Jan 2017 these saws will all be provided with new brass rollers on quick release clamp in place of plastic ones. For any purchased before Dec 16, please call us on 0800 371822 and quote product code SS000833 for a free upgrade kit.
also
Supplied with a blank table insert, spare pinless blade clamps and a pack of assorted Pegas, Swiss made blades.

Looks like the tide has changed for me.....and its £50 to the good after delivery...new blades methinks :D
 

scrimper

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2007
Messages
1,159
Reaction score
74
Location
Glos England
I do agree with Brian re the rollers, it is just a minor niggle and according to your reply being sorted anyway. I have no connection with Axminster nor do I have one of the saws in question but I do think they look a decent machine and I am impressed that they are changing the rogue rollers it shows that they do take notice of customers comments.

I am a fan of the Hegner but I have to be honest if I were buying today I would be most seriously considering this Axminster model instead as I am quite mean with my cash.

If you do buy one I would be most interested to read your report on the saw.
 
Top