HEEELLPP!! Bandsaw tripping breaker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 100ma not 30ma as required for electric shock prevention.

Fair comment and pertinent observation, nevertheless, D curve is available in RCD , which was the 'heads up', Apart from start/run capacitors when wiring is enclosed all through and earthing being able to do its job which is fundamentally to enable proper operation of protective devices , motors are unlikely to give leakage faults as 'faults' ...more likely tripping on overcurrent.

Nuisance tripping is possible during start thus the 100mA rating. These items are aimed at Industrial market more than DIY. They don't appreciate nuisance tripping on individual machinery or as accumulation. Taking that to the human protection aspect, 30mA RCD's in my experience actually operate as low as 23mA and leakage accumulates...If e.g. on that saw circuit he has say 12 mA appliance/heater/ deficient wiring/assorted bugs, moisture what-not, the rcd will trip somewhere between 11 and 18mA.

Testing, to isolate the protective devices from each other using a temporary non rcd breaker would be my approach.

Hi all

You still get RCBO's with the the earth sensing wire, these provide for loss of supply neutral protection which in domestic installations is important where you rely on the Neutral for your means of earthing, IE TNCS or PME. They are the ones I would always fit and the four Sneider type B's I purchased three days ago all have the white wire and no indication window! In an industrial/office enviroment fitting RCBO's without the earth sensing wire is ok because the means of earthing is TNS.

You also get type C RCBO's and for your Steeple board

https://www.denmans.co.uk/den/root-category/Distribution/Consumer-Units-&-Devices/Domestic-RCBOs/Type-C-RCBO-|-20A-|-SP-|-6kA-|-30mA/p/2500549699?showBackLink=false

or if Wylex fit then screwfix gives you the choice of with and without earth sense in type C
Eaton RCBOs | Eaton Memera RCBOs | Screwfix.com

As I said before, unless you have a multifunction tester then get the electrician to inspect because you are not going to resolve without his knowledge.

Hi Roy...a bit of a dissertation.... You wrote " in domestic installations is important where you rely on the Neutral for your means of earthing". Is this an English situation? If so I'm surprised. The concept of a neutral being used as an earth may be a misinterpretation of the UK PME/TNCS concept.

It is true that all properties/devices along a supply are a cumulatively part of 'the supply system' however each property has to ensure its protection is adequate notwithstanding any others.

Bonding earth and neutral at supply or at distribution board ("MEN") is not to use a neutral as the earth but to reduce any differential voltage between them. That the neutral is connected into the earthing system whether at supply or at db does not make it 'the earth'. Were it so then earthing would be no more than a back-up and be required to be the same c.s.a. as the neutral.

The potential differential between terrain earth and supply neutral can be substantial (as well as between earth and active ) and caused some swimming pool deaths until the 240V lighting systems were abolished and equi-potential bonding made compulsory..

A differential example, Effectively 'earthed' kneeling on the bath edge I cut a bathroom shower pipe in one case and as the pipe parted it drew a substantial arc. Surprise , I measured across the gap...75volts...could have been nasty for me. These days in Australia all such metal must have continuous and effective earthing (e.g. pipes in kitchen, at HSW and so on).

For RCD to function, 'in spec' earthing loop impedance has to be not so much 'to code maximum ' impedance but must be of a value which ensures the leakage differential and any other protective device can do its job.

The neutral for RCD is isolated from the earth link ...or conversely if you wish; (the MEN system). Hooked together in the RCD circuit the RCD will trip instantly when activated.

RCD's are intended to protect only active to earth leakage...for example through insulation deterioration, other faults or through a body. They do not protect an active to neutral 'hookup' of a person. You know all that...I'm just including it for those that may not.

It is possible however to have a neutral fault which sees he electrician servicing a 'not working' problem carrying neutral current to earth when the appliance is 'on' and the person contacts the faulty neutral and earth/earthed metal simultaneously.

Where not 'MEN', neutral and earth are completely isolated (ignoring terrain conduction via other nearby earthed premises) until back at authority supply source.

The loss of supply neutral in the MEN (Multiple Earth Neutral) system leaves the earthing carrying the load otherwise carried by the neutral. The loss of neutral forward of the db should make no difference to the earthing. they should be entirely isolated at least >1 Megohm and more likely will be >10 meg ohms or even 'infinity' on test.

Neutral/Earth service situations I have experienced have been where from time to time the electricity authority bloke (or errant sparkie) perhaps does not tighten that incoming mains neutral. (more likely there to give problems than at the closer fitting sub-mains neutral link). In one case he hadn't even put the neutral tail back into the authority link before closing and sealing the case.

When not tightened with the physical shock (current caused) of heaters, aircond, cooking appliances being turned 'on' the loose connection jumps/deteriorates/gives high resistance contact. If the situation continues the MEN earthing carrying the sub-circuit current in excess of its rating via the terrain back to supply neutral may send the earthing smoking.

If not MEN all that will happen is intermittent or 'no' operating. It's a high risk for death for inexperienced sparkies who for some reason when called to fix the problem then unhook the main earth from the neutral link and treat it as benign holding the link in one hand and perhaps contacting the copper tail with the other whilst withdrawing it.

Interesting effects can come from 3 phase system with a bad or broken neutral connection but I'll leave it there.

You would do well on the "Electricians Forum" that I posted a link to earlier, they can't resist long posts and going off subject either. :unsure:

Hi Roy...a bit of a dissertation.... You wrote " in domestic installations is important where you rely on the Neutral for your means of earthing". Is this an English situation? If so I'm surprised. The concept of a neutral being used as an earth may be a misinterpretation of the UK PME/TNCS concept.

It is true that all properties/devices along a supply are a cumulatively part of 'the supply system' however each property has to ensure its protection is adequate notwithstanding any others.

Bonding earth and neutral at supply or at distribution board ("MEN") is not to use a neutral as the earth but to reduce any differential voltage between them. That the neutral is connected into the earthing system whether at supply or at db does not make it 'the earth'. Were it so then earthing would be no more than a back-up and be required to be the same c.s.a. as the neutral.

The potential differential between terrain earth and supply neutral can be substantial (as well as between earth and active ) and caused some swimming pool deaths until the 240V lighting systems were abolished and equi-potential bonding made compulsory..

A differential example, Effectively 'earthed' kneeling on the bath edge I cut a bathroom shower pipe in one case and as the pipe parted it drew a substantial arc. Surprise , I measured across the gap...75volts...could have been nasty for me. These days in Australia all such metal must have continuous and effective earthing (e.g. pipes in kitchen, at HSW and so on).

For RCD to function, 'in spec' earthing loop impedance has to be not so much 'to code maximum ' impedance but must be of a value which ensures the leakage differential and any other protective device can do its job.

The neutral for RCD is isolated from the earth link ...or conversely if you wish; (the MEN system). Hooked together in the RCD circuit the RCD will trip instantly when activated.

RCD's are intended to protect only active to earth leakage...for example through insulation deterioration, other faults or through a body. They do not protect an active to neutral 'hookup' of a person. You know all that...I'm just including it for those that may not.

It is possible however to have a neutral fault which sees he electrician servicing a 'not working' problem carrying neutral current to earth when the appliance is 'on' and the person contacts the faulty neutral and earth/earthed metal simultaneously.

Where not 'MEN', neutral and earth are completely isolated (ignoring terrain conduction via other nearby earthed premises) until back at authority supply source.

The loss of supply neutral in the MEN (Multiple Earth Neutral) system leaves the earthing carrying the load otherwise carried by the neutral. The loss of neutral forward of the db should make no difference to the earthing. they should be entirely isolated at least >1 Megohm and more likely will be >10 meg ohms or even 'infinity' on test.

Neutral/Earth service situations I have experienced have been where from time to time the electricity authority bloke (or errant sparkie) perhaps does not tighten that incoming mains neutral. (more likely there to give problems than at the closer fitting sub-mains neutral link). In one case he hadn't even put the neutral tail back into the authority link before closing and sealing the case.

When not tightened with the physical shock (current caused) of heaters, aircond, cooking appliances being turned 'on' the loose connection jumps/deteriorates/gives high resistance contact. If the situation continues the MEN earthing carrying the sub-circuit current in excess of its rating via the terrain back to supply neutral may send the earthing smoking.

If not MEN all that will happen is intermittent or 'no' operating. It's a high risk for death for inexperienced sparkies who for some reason when called to fix the problem then unhook the main earth from the neutral link and treat it as benign holding the link in one hand and perhaps contacting the copper tail with the other whilst withdrawing it.

Interesting effects can come from 3 phase system with a bad or broken neutral connection but I'll leave it there.

Hi there

I think it is UK specific but not looked into how other countries provide their protection. I have noted in several of my books about trim carpentry written by Americans they seem to have wall sockets with two wires. In the UK we have for domestic installations what is called Protective Multiple Earth or PME. At the supply end in the local sub it is TNC or combined neutral and protective conductor, the neutral is grounded. At the property it is S or separate Neutral and protective conductor & is refered to as a TNC-S means of earthing. The local supplier only provides a Live and Neutral to the property and at the properties main fuse an Earth is taken from the Neutral conductor to the main earthing terminal. From here there is a wire that connects to the earthing bar in the main distribution board, another to the gas pipe and others to any metal service pipes such as water. The problem with this method is that you could loose the protective earth if the neutral becomes open circuit and is why for non domestic supplies they use a TN-S system where an earth conductor is provided from the sub to the installation.

You would do well on the "Electricians Forum" that I posted a link to earlier, they can't resist long posts and going off subject either. :unsure:
and I thought it was a woodworking forum, woodworkers do wood, plumbers do pipes and electricians do electrical !! I came here to leave my electrical past behind .

Hi Craig, sorry to hear you are having issues. Can you let me know after your electrician has visited and we will help out for sure if there is any problem with the machine.

There has been a lot of info written in this thread, and I don't profess to be an expert electrician, but we do specify 'Type C' breaker as that is able to cope with the start up surge.

I'd say 95% of the issues we get like this on all 3Hp 16A machines are down to customer wiring/MCB etc that are resolved by upgrading - that's not to imply that there may not be an inherent fault (would be very rare as there are a lot of these out there working absolutely fine) but that's our experience.

Keep me updated if you can as it's a great saw and I'll help out however I can to get you up and cutting.

Best to contact me direct if OK as I can't always monitor this forum.

[email protected]

Cheers,
Nick

Hi Craig, sorry to hear you are having issues. Can you let me know after your electrician has visited and we will help out for sure if there is any problem with the machine.

There has been a lot of info written in this thread, and I don't profess to be an expert electrician, but we do specify 'Type C' breaker as that is able to cope with the start up surge.

I'd say 95% of the issues we get like this on all 3Hp 16A machines are down to customer wiring/MCB etc that are resolved by upgrading - that's not to imply that there may not be an inherent fault (would be very rare as there are a lot of these out there working absolutely fine) but that's our experience.

Keep me updated if you can as it's a great saw and I'll help out however I can to get you up and cutting.

Best to contact me direct if OK as I can't always monitor this forum.

[email protected]

Cheers,
Nick
HI Nick in my response I explained a lot including the effect of accumulated leakage on RC guarded circuits. I mentioned also that some RCD's trip at lower than their rated leakage current. That's a possibility when another appliance added trips the 'combo' RCD/over-current circuit-breaker.

Maybe his machine as the only hookup to the circuit and all else being 'ok' so having everything in its favour might work for an unloaded motor start-up but his machine is loaded and will; experience significant magnetic slip at start-up.

I'd go straight to motor-start curve gear. Out with the old (extant) ...in with the new. A "C" curve breaker would be certainly required over a 'combo' set up installed for a dominantly resistive load...the majority use. If I had both C and D curve breakers I'd experiment as also in my dissertation. If I had to just buy one or the other I'd go straight to 'D' curve in this chap's situation.

Permanently connected and if the only access point for that circuit the RCD may not be required under UK codes...I will follow that through for my own edification. When other outlets (GPO's) are available and intended to be left available the 'sockets' could be fitted as RCD type themselves (adds up in costs).

Personally I wouldn't have this problem, being a tradesman and not only a theorist engineer, I'd have a separate circuit for the saw using a 'D' type breaker or a 'C' type as works consistently for me. As said if I had to just make a choice I'd go 'D'. If the distribution board is close to the saw...or in the same shed...a separate circuit could be a very cheap addition. I think that covers all you raised.

and I thought it was a woodworking forum, woodworkers do wood, plumbers do pipes and electricians do electrical !! I came here to leave my electrical past behind .

Ahhh Spectric ....wanted to leave it behind eh...Life!!...you can run but you can't hide!...

I didn't introduce the issue but did seek to straighten it out. You raised some (UK?) electrical issues which I found interesting to pursue. Thanks for that. It was "once
more unto the breach dear friend...once more,".

Between us we have killed the dragon I think....Once the carpenters understand about motor start situations the questions will die away. We can't just keep them in the dark you know... they are sort of' mates' .

Fair comment and pertinent observation, nevertheless, D curve is available in RCD , which was the 'heads up', Apart from start/run capacitors when wiring is enclosed all through and earthing being able to do its job which is fundamentally to enable proper operation of protective devices , motors are unlikely to give leakage faults as 'faults' ...more likely tripping on overcurrent.

Nuisance tripping is possible during start thus the 100mA rating. These items are aimed at Industrial market more than DIY. They don't appreciate nuisance tripping on individual machinery or as accumulation. Taking that to the human protection aspect, 30mA RCD's in my experience actually operate as low as 23mA and leakage accumulates...If e.g. on that saw circuit he has say 12 mA appliance/heater/ deficient wiring/assorted bugs, moisture what-not, the rcd will trip somewhere between 11 and 18mA.

Testing, to isolate the protective devices from each other using a temporary non rcd breaker would be my approach.

Thank you for your friendly response and kindly direction. For the rest ...votre commentaire sur la « sécurité » a invité une réponse plus complète. Voila.

Personally I wouldn't have this problem, being a tradesman and not only a theorist engineer, I'd have a separate circuit for the saw using a 'D' type breaker or a 'C' type as works consistently for me. As said if I had to just make a choice I'd go 'D'. If the distribution board is close to the saw...or in the same shed...a separate circuit could be a very cheap addition. I think that covers all you raised.

That is exactly what I have (almost). I specifically had a dedicated 6mm armoured run to the garage for this reason. the only thing on the garage distribution box is 2 RCBO's. 1st is a 20A for 2 double sockets and the 2nd is the 16A RCBO (type b) for the single 16A socket for the saw. The garage does have light and another couple of double sockets, but they come from a separate armoured supply.

Hopefully all will be fine when the electrician swaps the RCBO, I originally started the thread in case I was either doing something stupid or missing something as this is my first bandsaw.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Sorry, though you are an electrician you seem to have missed the training that shows exactly if it’s an overload trip or earth leak trip

the flag in the window under the letters RCBO will change colour if it’s an earth leak fault, but will not if it’s an overload.

the speed of the trip suggests that an earth fault is more likely but the flag colour when tripped while not an absolute will give a better idea which it is.

This is something that anyone can safely check. The flag gets reset when you turn on the RCBO so you need to look after it trips.

Not all combos have that coding facility.

Hi

One other thought, have you something else that you could plug into that socket just to rule out the fixed wiring?

You probably have testers for RCD as we do. Some are very simple, others a little more "complex"They will have variable leakage selections and give drop out time.

You probably have testers for RCD as we do. Some are very simple, others a little more "complex"They will have variable leakage selections and give drop out time.
Double reply,

I put a 16A plug on a security light that worked just fine on the 16A socket.

The electrician did put a fancy KEW meter on the circuits and tested for what i presumed were earth leaks spouting numbers and was happy with the results......if that means anything

Not all combos have that coding facility.

To help you out a bit further on the selective advice you gave.so politely.... though I have already covered a lot of ground in setting the facts, there still seems to be uncertainties and pushback. It is not correct that tripping on leakage is faster than on overload, it depends on the situation.

I tentatively and taking the risk disagree with the consensus views being produced. Listening to the situation the weight is on the side of overload tripping through unsuitability of breaker curve. I have been through that including torque and slip.

I've explained it all in considerable detail. Ok...It could be RCD leakage (not 'leak') through capacitor start on a long start up time or faulty gear.Maybe it's the 'horse and water'. Maybe even though I gave a URL of confirmation, there's a sort of problem for some in understanding the variations in motor start curves.

Not all 'combos' or 'RCBO's as is the fashionable and 'correct' titling have the facility for seeing which activity caused the trip.
Whilst such indication would be helpful I have covered the ground of cumulative leakage. In a small sub-circuit, few only outlets such as a small workshop it's easy enough to find the problem area.

An RCD tester whether a simple leakage calibration or one also offering leakage load against trip time is convenient. At worst may be disconnecting the GPO's to isolate problems such as mouse chewed insulation, even dead rats or mice who chewed the wrong two at once. Presumably you have such testers in UK(?)

Indication types of 'combo's' are scarcer than hen's teeth in Australia (maybe in UK too ) where costs of an 'everyday combo will be a lot less than an indicating type "RCBO"...

A selection of wholesalers whom I asked driven by 'obviously ...training' effort from your expert to grease me up with charm have never heard of them. 'No one' asks for them and none has been offered. There was no shriek of excitement when I raised the matter, nor was Schneider's redirection to the Philippines of any benefit. They'd never heard of them either.

Hmmmm...another tightly guarded post cold-war secret perhaps.

We may be less incline to overload circuitry than the English DYI's. Maybe it's all about price. Maybe we understand motor start issues more profoundly. Maybe its about installation concepts and earthing concepts...blowed if I know....I'll try and find an English engineer and get the local savvy.

Clipsal Australia , rumour has it, has a polyphase combo with indication (a product of Schneider their new owner) and that's likely to be more in their industrial division. I'll try again tomorrow. "L and T Automation overseas has a small range of them .

Thanks for the motivation to find out the reality.

To help you out a bit further on the selective advice you gave.so politely.... though I have already covered a lot of ground in setting the facts, there still seems to be uncertainties and pushback. It is not correct that tripping on leakage is faster than on overload, it depends on the situation.

I tentatively and taking the risk disagree with the consensus views being produced. Listening to the situation the weight is on the side of overload tripping through unsuitability of breaker curve. I have been through that including torque and slip.

I've explained it all in considerable detail. Ok...It could be RCD leakage (not 'leak') through capacitor start on a long start up time or faulty gear.Maybe it's the 'horse and water'. Maybe even though I gave a URL of confirmation, there's a sort of problem for some in understanding the variations in motor start curves.

Not all 'combos' or 'RCBO's as is the fashionable and 'correct' titling have the facility for seeing which activity caused the trip.
Whilst such indication would be helpful I have covered the ground of cumulative leakage. In a small sub-circuit, few only outlets such as a small workshop it's easy enough to find the problem area.

An RCD tester whether a simple leakage calibration or one also offering leakage load against trip time is convenient. At worst may be disconnecting the GPO's to isolate problems such as mouse chewed insulation, even dead rats or mice who chewed the wrong two at once. Presumably you have such testers in UK(?)

Indication types of 'combo's' are scarcer than hen's teeth in Australia (maybe in UK too ) where costs of an 'everyday combo will be a lot less than an indicating type "RCBO"...

A selection of wholesalers whom I asked driven by 'obviously ...training' effort from your expert to grease me up with charm have never heard of them. 'No one' asks for them and none has been offered. There was no shriek of excitement when I raised the matter, nor was Schneider's redirection to the Philippines of any benefit. They'd never heard of them either.

Hmmmm...another tightly guarded post cold-war secret perhaps.

We may be less incline to overload circuitry than the English DYI's. Maybe it's all about price. Maybe we understand motor start issues more profoundly. Maybe its about installation concepts and earthing concepts...blowed if I know....I'll try and find an English engineer and get the local savvy.

Clipsal Australia , rumour has it, has a polyphase combo with indication (a product of Schneider their new owner) and that's likely to be more in their industrial division. I'll try again tomorrow. "L and T Automation overseas has a small range of them .

Thanks for the motivation to find out the reality.

by "combo", do you mean RCBO's with indicators that show what caused a trip? ....because i have no clue and don't profess to. just trying to get my new shiny working ;)

Double reply,

I put a 16A plug on a security light that worked just fine on the 16A socket.

The electrician did put a fancy KEW meter on the circuits and tested for what i presumed were earth leaks spouting numbers and was happy with the results......if that means anything

Hi...Yes it means something...good on you for acting sensibly. Show him my comments if you want. Ask him also to make sure it is a 'solid earth' to your saw and at your saw. You will get better longevity by permanent connection of the saw that drawing starting current well in excess of the design of your outlet copper over and over through your GPO (outlet) contact.

Have a read of my dissertation on cumulative leakage. Your security light doesn't electrically represent a motor on startup. I think your electrician is in fact supporting what I have been explaining...you will require a motor start breaker unless changing to an HRC M as a separate circuit to your saw.

"Do it once, do it well'?...If sticking with a breaker I'd separate the saw from the general circuit on which you have it. Run new wiring just for it and connect the saw permanently' into the circuit. Use the existing circuit for everyday loads...that will give you the 30mA protection (which may be somewhat less in my experience) and may at some stage , through cumulative leakage cause nuisance tripping...or it may be fine.

Ask the sparkie to test the circuit under saw-start using a "C" curve many times from 'dead ' start...nothing spinning. See how that works. If it is sometimes dropping out...use a 'D'.

Test your RCD's monthly and if the breaker fails to reset once or more, pull out all appliances on that circuit and retry. Constant resetting can damage the rcd but more to the point there may be excessive leakage 'somewhere' on the wiring and/or the RCD may be faulty.

If I had only a 'this or that' choice I'd go 'D' curve which allows around 12-13 times run current on start as opposed to 6-7 times run current on a "C".

UPDATE:

16 Amp type C fixed the problem and now we are all good......now i just need a decent extractor for it :)

Well! Third post in this thread recommended fitting a C breaker. 4 pages of intense electrical theory on, we find the solution was the 5 minute job of fitting a C. Glad you machine is now working as hoped for.

Back