heeeeellllppppp......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
hi,
i was merrily sanding away with the ROS on my newest project (tv unit) and i looked and i saw that i had sanded too far :(

i sanded past the veneer onto the chipboard :(

anyone have any suggestions???

Ta

Tom

Tom,

Not sure how well this would work with chipboard, but you could try a "button" (I think that's the right name for it). I saw Norm do it once on New Yankee to repair some damage to re-cycled pine board.

Anyway, he cuts out a clean recess from the damaged bit of board in a given shape (rectangle, bow-tie shape, anything you want basically) using a hardboard template and the router. Then a corresponding "button" is made from spare stock, glued in and sanded/planed down flush.

It's obvious that it's there - which is why he uses more attractive shapes ala the "bow-tie", but it seemed to do the job.

Failing that, you could resort to filler or glue and sawdust mix....

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Martin.

HI Thomas
No suggestions, sadly (Dulux, perhaps?).
But I tried to access your website and my AV software complained about the page having a Trojan in it. If you are not aware of this, you may wish to do something about it.
Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":1kvy04ul said:
HI Thomas
No suggestions, sadly (Dulux, perhaps?).
But I tried to access your website and my AV software complained about the page having a Trojan in it. If you are not aware of this, you may wish to do something about it.
Cheers
Steve

:eek: well ill take it down for now then ill remake it tonight!

thanks for the heads up!!

Tom

ps.thanks for the suggestion martin!! ill see what i can do

Hi Tom
Martin is talking about an "inlay". You can buy an inlay kit from Trend for around £15 (I think). Includes a cutter, guide bush and the corresponding "bush" that makes the inlay piece fit exactly into the routed shape.
I like these things! I use them often to mask dead knots and defects on timber when it is impractical to work around them.
I regularly use a heart shape which my customers seem to like when I point it out. Sort of becoming a signature!

Once you've gone through the veneer there's not a lot you can do to hide it. Chalk this one up to experience - and you'll never do it again. :roll:

Inlay, button or a Dutchman.

Rgds

Noel

PS, If you've sanded through the veneer a strip and relay maybe best.

Hi Tom
Yes that's the kit! I thought Trend's was cheaper but their site seems to be down at the moment.
Make sure whatever you buy that the template guide fits your router!

Tom

Possibly the patch will work OK, depends on where the damage lies.

May look best if you simply put it down to experience and remake the top or possibly turn it over?

Maybe you could inlay more than one patch and make it a design feature or if the damage is near the edge, why not inlay a strip of wood all the way along as this will look like part of the design rather than a repair.

Good luck either way

Cheers

Tony

Latest posts

Back