Hedgehogs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melinda_dd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Because it's still quite mild, hedgehogs have breed quite late in the season. This means there are little ones about!

Baby Hedgehogs have to weigh 600-650 grams to be able to survive hibernation through the winter.

Please if you know you have them in your garden/area, give them a helping hand and put some food out for them to beef them up for the winter.

DO NOT FEED THEM BREAD AND MILK-THIS WILL KILL THEM............. A MEATY CAT FOOD (NOT FISHY) NON GRAVY

Thank you for reading

I am with you on that one, I even rescued a big spider from an attack by my wife this morning. I consider them to be amongst some of my best friends in our house.

This happened in our garden last year. We spotted an adult hedgehog collecting leaves and going under our shed during the day one weekend last September and I asked the hedgehog society and they said it would be a pregnant female. We started putting out food but the local cats and fox ate most of it I think.
A few weeks later we did indeed have 3 baby hedgehogs in the garden but the next night I only saw 2.

We got a night vision scope and set it to record during the night and we did get the hedgehogs on camera, as well as the fox.

I also got advice from a local hedgehog rescue centre and they said to feed dry food and keep an eye on them but they would hopefully be ok on their own.

We also watched them in the evenings on the TV through the scope. I put out food every night and we made a hedgehog box that the cats wouldn't be able to get into (the cats were incredibly persistent) and I know the baby hedgehogs did get food from another dish on the patio but after a week the adult disappeared and then we didn't see them again.

I hope they survived but I fear they may have died.

Round here here we don't have Hogs. I have seen one in 22 yrs, and that a road kill. With the weather about to turn cold at any moment hand rearing and a safe place to hibernate might be the best option.

Roy.

There's very few down this far and the only couple I've seen have been road kill. We have had a tortoise here once though. Just turned up out of the blue and when we tryied to find the owner we were told that it's probably a wild one! There are a few about :shock: :shock: Our chokky labrador just couldn't make it out one little bit!

CeleCrustypie3.jpg

It left after about 5 days. Shame cause we were getting used to it.

IMHO Not all hedgehogs like cat food of any variety or type.

We're feeding 4 hedgehogs at the moment, they definitely don't like cat food.

They like mealworms, suet, kibbled peanuts, sunflower hearts, sultanas mixed together & they need water.
They also have a fetish for blackberries.

We have the occasional hedgehog in the garden BUT we also have badgers. Badgers eat hedgehogs. :(

RogerP":wbw9cnkq said:
We have the occasional hedgehog in the garden BUT we also have badgers. Badgers eat hedgehogs. :(

Badgers also eat the frogs in our wildlife pond. And they love the rotting apples that dropped from our tree. In fact they liked them so much that they smashed through my (neighbours) fence to get them. When I patched it up they smashed the next panel.

Maybe that explains the lack of hedgehogs.

Roy

gardenshed":3519zn9f said:
IMHO Not all hedgehogs like cat food of any variety or type.

We're feeding 4 hedgehogs at the moment, they definitely don't like cat food.

They like mealworms, suet, kibbled peanuts, sunflower hearts, sultanas mixed together & they need water.
They also have a fetish for blackberries.

I quite agree, my 2 like all those things too, and it gives them more of the nutrients they need.
But until you get to know whether your hogs are frequent visitors, and get to know their tastes, cat food... Or dog is a good place to start.

RogerP":yqf2zxhd said:

oh that's not so good for the hogs!
I do love badgers tho. I recently went badger watching with the suffolk wildlife trust. They really are amazing and beautiful creatures

mark aspin":2tyvjnbu said:
I once saw a hedgehog in an American zoo! They're very exotic aren't they?

they also keep them as pets over there in some places. I think it's coz they don't have a lot if any over there.
My old american friend desparately wanted to see one when she came over because she's never seen one

Melinda_dd":6tncudvp said:
RogerP":6tncudvp said:

oh that's not so good for the hogs!
I do love badgers tho. I recently went badger watching with the suffolk wildlife trust. They really are amazing and beautiful creatures

.... not so endearing when they constantly dig up the garden, break down fences and generally run riot!

Latest posts

Back