Hedge trimmer reviews

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have a monster hedge. Like a 100 foot green Forth Bridge it grows as fast as I can cut and cart it away. I use an electric Black & Decker. Its not cordless but became so a couple of times in the early days until I learned to be more careful. :oops:
Anyway its lasted 10 years plus now and I can't really fault it.
It has a long cutting head and is very light. These I think are probably the two most important features. Cutting the hedge is actually easy with a light tool. Its carting it all away that's a pain. Three full builders bags twice a year.
I'm very glad I didn't splash out on a heavier petrol one. Especially for the parts where I reach over my head or have to work from a ladder.

Yes, we have the Stihl combi gear too. I rate it but would not use it for everyday hedge trimming at normal height - a proper hedge trimmer is easier. The combi is handicapped by the fact that the cutting head (whatever you are using) is always quite some way away, which can be a bit awkward. It's obviously cheaper than buying separate tools, but slightly compromised.

We have pole pruner (basically chain saw on a pole) - very good; 1 metre extension pole; long reach hedge trimmer; strimmer; leaf blower. Motor unit (the largest) is reliable. Starts easily (but don't let fuel go stale).

Random Orbital Bob":2hcgmyvm said:
Has anyone used one of those modular pole systems where you can fit different attachments to the same pole, and engine like trimmer, chainsaw etc. I've been pondering on getting one as they look useful for difficult to reach/high areas.

I use the Stihl Kombi system which I bought a few years ago now, I have the KM90R motor unit, KM-HL 0-145 degree hedge trimmer, KM-HT pole pruner and the carbon fibre 1 metre extension pole. It's an excellent set up often talked about by customers when I turn up to cut a hedge with no step ladders :lol:

The one thing I will say is though if Stihl still do the small KM55 engine avoid it, mine was grossly underpowered and packed up within the warranty so I added the financial difference to buy the KM90R and haven't looked back since.

Cheers

Steve

Latest posts

Back