Heavy-weight Scrubs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
I had some down time today off and on (belly was hurting from the stupid chisel incident).

So I ground open the mouth on the #5 1/4 I recently got, reground a radius on the blade and chip breaker, lapped the sole a little and put it to work on some red oak. Due to the belly, it didn't take long for me to decide to put it down, but...

It works great. The extra weight is wonderful. After I get the tote reshaped a little I'll post a picture.

Mike

MikeW":2dr3q3ne said:
So I ground open the mouth on the #5 1/4 I recently got, reground a radius on the blade and chip breaker... <snip> After I get the tote reshaped a little I'll post a picture.
:-s Sure that chisel didn't hit your head...? :-k :lol: Or have you missed a "W" off that plane number?

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3f9hee6q said:
MikeW":3f9hee6q said:
So I ground open the mouth on the #5 1/4 I recently got, reground a radius on the blade and chip breaker... <snip> After I get the tote reshaped a little I'll post a picture.
:-s Sure that chisel didn't hit your head...? :-k :lol: Or have you missed a "W" off that plane number?
Cheers, Alf
Nope:
#5 1/4 Jack plane, 11 1/2"L, 1 3/4"W, 3 3/4lbs, 1921-1983
courtesy of B&G.

Just nearly 4# of scrub. When I used it yesterday, I also used my LN version. Felt like a mere toy. Tippy and less controlable once the wood's surface had been gone over. Flattened the red oak with the #5 1/4 in short order. The LN with the same amount of forward thrust would stall going through the cut.

I liken it to using a smoother. All things considered, a heavier plane like the new BUS moves across the same surface easier than the earlier LV LA smoother.

ymmv. Mike

Back