heavy-duty machine base from rutlands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
got an email through yesterday from rutlands about a heavy duty mobile base for 1/2 price.

Just what I need for my floor standing startrite 351E.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psPro ... i?promo=50

Ordered yesterday @ 3PM arrive today @ 8AM, the only grumble was no email confirmation of dispatch or even card clearing............

had a quick panic about my startrite weight, quick download of the manual reveals 95ish Kg, WELL within the 270ish that the base can take.

cool

looking forward to fitting it tonight.

Steve

That's a regular offer of theirs. I bought 2 for the supersaw and combined the 2 to get 4 swivelling legs. It was OK but I think next time I'd have one made up from sturdier stuff.

I got two a few months ago for my mortiser and bandsaw.

I wouldnt buy them again. the quality wasnt very good ended up having to re drill the holes so they lined up...

David

David111s":2mvkeggz said:

I wouldnt buy them again. the quality wasnt very good ended up having to re drill the holes so they lined up...

David
I had that problem too, but for the price I wasn't too fussed about extending the holes, and it was only one of the short pieces that was slightly out of alignment, the rest were fine.

WHY oh WHY do I set myself up for disappointment............

got home:
mistake --- I let my 4 & 2 year old "helpers" catch sight of my rutland delivery, they can sniff out "interesting stuff" from 10 yards :)

forced into getting the spanners and putting together in the living room.

Sadly very disappointed with the quality. The larger piece of the telescopic arms had the holes drilled in the centre (like the smaller pieces), WELL they obviously need to be offset, so basically they didn't line up with the holes in the corner sections.
Went and got the round file and started to "hack".

All measured and bolted. For some season there seemed to be a twist, I tried to find where but it was getting late so went out to the workshop to fit the bandsaw.

Stuggling and huffing for a while resulted in a snuggly fitted saw.
BUT the flex on the base is large, according to the manual my saw is 95Kg, nowhere near the 270kg limit of the base. SOD putting anything heavier in it!
:shock:

Bolted it down, and now started to adjust the lift and feet for moving it.
From the factory mine didn't seem to have enough "lever" on the 2 risers, so I unbolted the swivel wheels and packed 2 large plate washers in.
Thats better, both levers now raise some of the weight and actually achieve some clearance under the feet (which are screwed right up).

All in all, it basically works (after some mods). Not too shabby for the money but I'm lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. I expected the frame to be a bit more substancial (the risers convert about 50% of your energy into lift and the other 50% into twisting the front brace :roll:) as I said pipper putting any more weight in one

live and learn.....

Steve

kityuser":35iexo4v said:
The larger piece of the telescopic arms had the holes drilled in the centre (like the smaller pieces), WELL they obviously need to be offset, so basically they didn't line up with the holes in the corner sections.
Not sure I understand this bit Steve. I've just been to look at mine, and the short part of the arms fits inside the longer part (like a small u inside a big U), so surely they need the holes in the middle of each (along the length)?

Or have I misunderstood?

i'm glad i made my own, the castors cost more than a shop bought base :shock:

DSC01138.jpg

i don't need to move my TS much, but when i do its a breeze.

John-Henry

I must say that both of my kits fitted together fine and, on a flat level floor, they'd be more than adequate. But I need something with bigger wheels and more clearance. So I'm going to either make or have made something like that JH posted above.

TrimTheKing":1jy3lqus said:
David111s":1jy3lqus said:

David
I had that problem too, but for the price I wasn't too fussed about extending the holes, and it was only one of the short pieces that was slightly out of alignment, the rest were fine.

looking at:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psPro ... i?promo=50

on the one that was delivered to me the smaller section of the telescopic arm fitted flush to the bottom of the corner section and bolted in nicely (I maybe would have expected a couple of mm clearance from the corner plate bottom to the underside of the smaller telescopic arm section).
Thus, the larger telescopic arm end has issues when you try to bolt it into a corner section. The holes don't aline, by quite a way. This is vertically I`m talking about here.
Either the holes in the big end of the telescopic arm should be offcentre or the holes in the corner section are too low (too close to the bottom plate).

Anyhow a bit of filing and they all lined up.

Also, no way does the wheels on the back of mine look nice and square like the one in the picture, one of my corner sections has the wheel housing welded on crooked, so the wheel has alot of camber on it :roll:
AND the holes to the rear of the wheel housing are too close to the wheel housing (on both wheels) so the nut and bolt won't screw up flush to the frame.

never mind

Steve

I've got a couple and the biggest problem is that the front castors are poor quality and I've not been able to find replacements. If anyone has had this problem and found a supplier of replacement castors I'd be interested to know.

Steve

Back