Heavily Restored Teak Benches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin dwyer

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's two teak benches restored fairly recently. The first one I scrubbed clean and then lightly sanded, the second I just sanded clean. They are 50 years old and were not in particularly good shape. Both had rotten tenons at the back RHS so some woodwork was necessary. For the arms I cut a 3/4 inch slice out and replaced it with mahogany to give me a new tenon, slither is glued in with 3M aero epoxy. A new mahogany rail for under the seat slats on each bench and I sliced one bottom rail in half longways and laminated on a piece of oak. The benches were being stained with dark teak oil so I just used whatever wood was in the workshop.

The second bench had to be completely taken apart to get at a broken slat and some damage to the back rail where a small piece of oak is epoxied in. Any joints that didn't get taken apart had some expanding glue squeezed in and a peg.

ukwcramped.jpg
ukw2.JPG
ukw3.JPG
ukw1.JPG
ukwbrokeslatandbackrail.JPG
bench1ukw.JPG

Attachments

• ukwbrokeslatandbackrail.JPG
    ukwbrokeslatandbackrail.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,385
  • ukw1.JPG
    ukw1.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,403
  • ukw3.JPG
    ukw3.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,386
  • ukw2.JPG
    ukw2.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 1,386
  • ukwbench.JPG
    ukwbench.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,384
  • ukwcramped.jpg
    ukwcramped.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,387
  • bench1ukw.JPG
    bench1ukw.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,469
Just out of interest, why do you use different timbers in your restoration protects? Is it to use the different strength properties or something?

I ask because I would of thought that the different woods would exhibit different colours and grain patterns also surely restoring an antique with different timbers will remove its credibility as an antique.

I'm not flaming your post just interested in what you are doing.

I think he has already answered that one.
The benches were being stained with dark teak oil so I just used whatever wood was in the workshop.

with the types of glue he is using, it's not restoration merely reparation, so other materials dont matter either!

@deserter, antique values are based on attribution and/or historical context, materials, condition, etc, changing any of these will effect that value. In good quality restoration the materials used should be matched as closely as possible, including the adhesives.
I am not suggesting using conservation standard adhesive on a relatively modern piece but aircraft grade epoxy is overkill even for hard-worked joints.
Don't get me wrong , I use epoxys, PVA and PU adhesives but I know when to use them or Isinglas, rabbitskin or animal glues so I know whether I'm repairing, restoring or conserving items. (apologies if this sounds a little pedantic, its because I am :) )
chris

That's what I wanted to know, I want to restore a chair for use in a reading area and was unsure if modern glues would ruin the credentials of the finished item.

A pedant is a person who is excessively concerned with formalism and precision, or who makes a show of his or her learning. Wiki. Not a good thing.

kevin dwyer":64uqldmu said:
A pedant is a person who is excessively concerned with formalism and precision, or who makes a show of his or her learning. Wiki. Not a good thing.
YOUR point of view, not everyone else's...please remember that! Some of us like formalism or/and precision, the Spanish table is neither - Rob

Back