Heating the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
I've heard about workshop heaters/burners that run on offcuts and sawdust. As I produce more than enough of both, it would seem a good idea for my workshop (when it's back up and running). Has anyone got one and any recomendations and, if so, on companies to get one from?

The Hot Spot immediately springs to mind, but that's just the power of advertising. i.e. They do. :D I seem to recall we had some useful discussion on the subject on the forum, so might be worth a search.

Cheers, Alf

If you search for 'stove' there are quite a few posts discussing this. Sorry to thread hog.. but can you burn man made wood products in these things? i.e mdf?

So I take it that the glues in Man Made Boards would be dangerous to health? Is this inhilation or combustion risk? or both?

DW":36nsexzl said:

Not sure thats true!

I have a Hotspot stove and everything of timber origin goes in it quite happily from sacks of MDF dust to shavings to oak offcuts. Its a sealed burner and as such it doesn't release anything back into the workshop.

Its either that or landfill!

Cheers

Tim

I suppose you have to make sure the flu isn't pointed at your neighbour's kitchen window tho! :wink:

I've just intstalled a20 KW stove with an archimedes screw feed delivering the sawdust and chippings from my dust collector system. The screw is a modified one from an Aga that fed coal and coal dust, picked it up years ago with this in mind

It all works a treat and even automatically feeds in new sawdust ( a combination of heat sensors and mass sensors) when it decides to do so.

I'd say though that it only delivers me 30% of the heat that I require as I just keep on running out of offcuts chippings and dust. I've seen articles stating that this can drop down to 20% in cold places.
I have a ready supply of fire wood to supplement this hence the choice for this style of heating, as i would never generate enough chippings and offcuts to heat my workshop (11 x 8m)

Andy

How very dare you post such a description without lots of photos. Sounds fantastic. Please show some pics.

You are right though about offcuts vs firewood. I probably use about the same ratio -30% waste and 70% firewood. I do find it relatively efficient - probably need no more than 5 or 6 6" by 10" logs a day.

Cheers

Tim

We could almost certainly do with one of those burners down in Devon today. Although the wind would most probably blow off the chimney.
Learning some new software instead of woodwork today (page plus11).

Thanks for the advice - the workshop is a bit exposed as we will be living out on the Fens - not sure just how close the nearest neighbour is - haven't moved in yet - but I know I can't see their house from my land so the flue shouldn't be a problem!

Tim, what size stove from Hotspot do you have? I notice they go from R1 to R5 - I appreciate it will depend on the size of the workshop, just wondering if you can heat your workshop adequately with the smaller ones?

I have the R2 and it works brilliantly. I specifically wanted a small stove. I regularly end up working in a tshirt when its below freezing outside.

Cheers

Tim

PeterPan":8fqyrmxp said:
I wouldn't burn dust in any stove, well I guess if it had an auger. :(

I think I'm right in thinking the stoves Alf suggested at Hotspot are advertised as being suitable for burning sawdust. I was planning on getting one for offcuts and sawdust - anyone any thoughts on Peterpan's observation? Should it be ok ti burn sawdust be in these?

I use it to burn sawdust all the time. Works absolutely fine. They are designed to do exactly this and have air inlets specifically placed to ensure that they work safely.

Cheers

Tim

Latest posts

Back