Heating the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rob,

I, too, have a Hot Spot Relax stove in my workshop. Although my 'shop is smaller than Tim's I have to use a larger model because of serious heat loss through the loft and roof. Otherwise the Hot Spot guidelines for size of stove for volume of workshop are, I think, just about right. More or less anything that burns goes on it - small offcuts, shavings, dust, MDF, chipboard, rags and logs. I just clean it out occasionally when the bed of ash has become too deep and that then goes on the garden compost heap.

Very useful for getting rid of the rubbish and good free heating. I wouldn't be without it.

Cheers,

Trev.

trevtheturner":j0u5mfzt said:
Although my 'shop is smaller than Tim's I have to use a larger model because of serious heat loss through the loft and roof.

His 'shop maybe smaller but his huge garage filled with an EB panel saw and motorbikes and then the massive upstairs timber storage area do suck the heat away.

Small shop, my a**e!

Seriously though, it does depend on the fabric of the building as well. Luckily, my workshop is completely insulated with 50mm Kingspan and double glazed windows and veluxes so I can get away with a small heater. If in doubt I would go for the size larger than the room volume dictates. Also keep the flue inside the room for as much as possible. A massive amount of heat comes from this - probably 50% so sticking it outside straight away will again reduce the output significantly.

Cheers

Tim

Latest posts

Back