Heating the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, read these posts and remembered a brand new Infrared heater I was given many years ago for my shed but I never used it, looked up infrared heating on the internet and found this company, lots of relevent info.
Industrial Infrared Heater I should say that Ive no connection with them nor do I know anyone thats used them, but worth a read if your thinking about heating,,I might get my infrared heater out too and have a proper look at it.
Steve.

“If everyone had simply answered my question....”

I’m not sure whether to laugh or be despondent at that one 🤔
If you have the choice, why not choose the happier option? Surely there’s enough misery in the world right now without looking for more.

Also, it wasn’t clear from my earlier reply but I’d like to point out that many people did answer my question as posted. I’d like to think that anyone stumbling across that thread with a similar question would find a fairly balanced discussion, not only of the comparative merits of particular saws but also when a table saw may or may not be a suitable choice. I think similar can be said of this thread too.

So sorry, I forgot I’m not in the inner circle and should not have tried to actually answer the OP‘s question.
What is this inner circle you speak of? And more importantly, is there a jig for it?

You gave a useful, concrete answer to OP’s question. There’s nothing to apologise for in that.

@boggy no idea if there is anyone near you or if this could be done by a remote order, but custom exhaust fabricators sprang to mind.
60mm (or 2 3/8") is a normal size and stainless tube bending is part of their game of course.

Also you can get pre-made bends of various shapes & sizes, to build exhausts from, elbows and different angles etc. Might just find something to suit. as a starter -
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=60mm+stainless+exhaust+bends&oq=60mm+stainless+exhaust+bends
Good luck. I'd love a burner in my workshop but have a wall-mount leccy heater rescued from an office refurb (so takes almost no space up), and those cheapo 1600w halogen heaters for moving around.

What is this inner circle you speak of? And more importantly, is there a jig for it?

You gave a useful, concrete answer to OP’s question. There’s nothing to apologise for in that.

“What is this inner circle you speak of? And more importantly, is there a jig for it?”

Now that is very clever! 🤔😂👍

Oh dear, hes started quite a kerfuffle!
My old mate now retired was renting a unit on a farm, where he had a joinery shop, it was a cold drafty old place and he picked up an old wood stove, used to crank it up and stand over it for a bit of warmth, anyway the landlord made him stop useing it because of complaints from the other units about the accrid smell of smoke,,worth bearing in mind esp if you have a single story shed and a consequently low flue terminal, I read some more about the infrared heaters and to my mind they do seem to be the way to go, instant heat onto you where your mostly working.

I took the plunge and bought a Chinese air diesel heater for my single garage. Decided no more cold garage in the winter. Been in 3 days and it's brilliant,local garage has red deisel so even better. Should have done this last year when we moved here,no matter now sorted. Screenshot_20201114-232235_eBay.jpg

I took the plunge and bought a Chinese air diesel heater for my single garage. Decided no more cold garage in the winter. Been in 3 days and it's brilliant,local garage has red deisel so even better. Should have done this last year when we moved here,no matter now sorted.View attachment 97063

Would love a bit more info on this if possible. Costings, installation etc.

Bought this heater off Amazon delivered in 3 days nothing missing except pop rivets on the spring clasps. Worked perfect no nightmares like I have read.
The carbonmonoxide alarm is a must no cheapies wanted.
I picked this transformer as I dont want a battery.
I needed 120cm pipe you only get 60cm with the kit plus needed a silencer. There isn't in opinion much noise to me. But I have severe hearing loss.
Oh yeah diesel I use red as there is a local supplier.
More info tomorrow. I got all info I needed off YouTube and Facebook. Spent quite a while gathering info b4 taking the plunge.
This setup works perfect for my needs.
20201124_173846.jpg20201124_173823.jpg
20201124_173912.jpg20201124_174125.jpg

You probably have plenty to keep you busy setting up etc, but once it's done you might want to try heating oil / Kerosene. Might be cheaper and cleaner.

Been sitting on the fence about heating and what’s stopped me is the heating of the workshop and the cooling and maybe condensation due to heating and cooling at this time of the year. Don’t want rusty tools.
So is that a possibility when heating the workshop with either a diesel heater like above or a small wood stove?
At the moment I use a small electric fan heater.
Should also add it is fully insulted.

Last edited:
Any kind of heating brings with it a risk of condensation and rust. That being said I heat my workshop with paraffin which one would normally avoid due to the moisture produced but there is sufficient ventilation (and oil and dust all over the my tools) that I don't have an issue with rust at all.

I would love to fit one of these diesel heaters, but the potential problem I see is that you are fitting an un-approved heating device in your home, so there are no regulations to control fitting.
The Far east heaters:- I would be very surprised if they are CE approved, but if they are, it will be for fitting in a motor home or a truck and not in domestic premises. Which is OK, people do things like that all the time, me included, probably nothing will go wrong, but if it does and worst case it causes a fire and your house suffers damage, the investigation shows that the diesel heater caused the fire. You can guarantee that your insurance company will limit the payout by a considerable amount. It's a huge risk I won't take. I have suffered insurance companies before. Every claim I have made (there haven't been many) was disputed by the insurance company. When I had roof damage, they chanced their hand saying ....well it's an old house, the slates must have been slack, Lack of maintenance, so we aren't paying out. I obviously fought that stupidity and they paid out. Then when my old garage collapsed after 2+ft of snow fell, they (different company) said...well it was an old garage, even though the bits which failed were as fresh as the day it was installed....(probably only 50 years before :) ) I fought that but they would not budge. It was due for replacement, but was still OK.

Not really going to get into this. Good luck to you.
I would still be really interested in how you get on with it, how much fuel it uses and what temperature you can get the workshop up to. As I said, I would love to fit one.

Okay this is for members interested in these air heaters. The photos show my set up which is still being refined. I have changed the fuel line to motorcycle clear fuel line and included a diesel filter . The fuel line fitted is not fuel line it cheap sh*t not fit for purpose. The air intake and exhaust go through the wall to the outside. Will show a photo tomorrow as it's dark now. I got this one as which they call portable as it suited my purpose. Dont know fuel consumption and don't care really again suits my purpose. In the shed today from 1100 to 1400rs I set it to 12°c and I am happy that. YouTube has tons of stuff on there about fuel consumption etc.
I watched loads of stuff on YouTube and decided I go for that. Dont regret it.
Not interested what if. I am happy with it so far.
20201206_163418.jpg20201206_162345.jpg

Back