Heating the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am guessing then that the cheapo oil filled have very little oil in them. I only have experience of a decent one (Dimplex I think) and it was very heavy, very slow to heat up.
If I am right about very little oil then they are just acting as a standard electric rad and the supposed benefits are being oil filled are negated.

Probably not but then why do you make guessing statements when you don't know which models I have unless you're suggesting that I'm not being truthful which I assume you're not.

Everyone who said they used a high quality unit said they are slow to heat, the people who use cheap units (including you) say they are fast to heat. So what does that imply?

There is no need for you to be rude.

I use a Honeywell 2KW oil filled rad. I find it easy and efficient in use, yes it takes 10 mins to warm up, however, it retains and continues to radiate heat long after its turned off either manually or by thermostatic control. I have thought about a solid fuel stove, and when I do, I know I am seeing with ‘rose tinted specs’ syndrome, looks great, burns scrap wood, cosy etc, but there are also drawbacks, such as initial cost, maintenance, safety, mess. Stoves require good airflow both for efficiency and to negate carbon monoxide risk.

For me, the cost of running a good oil rad is not expensive, mine cost me £15.00 a few years ago, bought it second hand just to test whether it would suffice, with the intention of buying a new one if it worked out, however, never needed to.

The responses appears typical in that the majority of you ‘once again’ treat the questioner as a small child who must be scolded....for gods‘s sake either answer him or assume that if he’s bright enough to operate a computer and old enough to own a shed and operate machinery that he’s able to come up with his own decisions and plans instead of being made to face, what is simply, a barrage your own criticisms and opinions on stuff he didn’t ask for.

Sometimes people (particularly beginners) ask on these fora questions that are based on misconception or invalid assumption. I know this firsthand because I have been in that situation. I think one of my first posts here was to ask advice on which table saw to buy -- like most beginners, I guess, I had watched a lot of (predominantly American) YouTube videos and was convinced that the table saw was the centre of any good workshop. Some people here suggested that I didn't want or need a table saw at all, most notably Custard, who was kind enough to give me a tour of his workshop and demonstrate the pros and cons of various machines with advice on which would be most suitable for my needs. That was a valuable learning experience and I am indebted to Custard for taking the time out of his day to help me. If everyone had simply answered my question I would probably now be the owner of a regrettably expensive mistake.

Whether you agree with them or not, I would ask you to consider that those who have responded have done so in good faith with the intention of helping the OP and, while you are entitled to your opinion, I do not feel your criticism is deserved.

Oil filled radiators vary from a few hundred watts to about 2.5kW, so the power and surface area will determine how quickly they heat and how hot they get. Some are low powered are designed for low background heat. They will never get very hot, so ideal for a kids bedroom, for example. If you want a lower powered appliances, look at tube heaters, They go down to tens of watts. Good for exposed bathrooms etc where you want to prevent freezing, but not really heat the room

If you want a lower powered appliances, look at tube heaters, They go down to tens of watts. Good for exposed bathrooms etc where you want to prevent freezing, but not really heat the room
I have a wardrobe, or sliderobe if you go by the advertising it's 3 compartment, I put a 40w tube heater in each bay, in hopes of keeping the damp out.
I actually have to touch them to see if they are on. So as Sandyn says deffo not for heat but may just keep the frost at bay in a small area.

An incandescent light bulb in a non flammable housing can be an excellent heater for small spaces.

Incandescent bulb........ah!! the good old days, when you could get a light bulb for pennies and they stopped the bathroom freezing in winter.

My experience of diesel heaters is limited though I have used one and found it very efficient at heating a large caravan but it was damned noisy even though installed in a sound deadening box. It was a decent brand and the reports of faults and overheating concerning very cheap Chiwanese copies would stop me buying one of those.
Me neither. Just too risky to buy something which almost certainly hasn't been certified correctly, if at all.

Diesel heaters vent to the outside and could be installed external to the heated space. They are processor controlled with a micro diesel pump to control flow. They are in widespread use to as overnight heaters for trucks and camper vans and are perfectly safe as long as they are installed/maintained correctly. There is also a gas heater of a similar design. After doing more research, I have gone off the idea. they require maintenance annually and unless you buy a cheap Chinese clone, they are quite expensive to buy.

I would love to have a rocket mass stove in the workshop. They are very efficient if designed properly, there is complete combustion, so no smoke. some of the designs with a huge thermal mass are amazing. They are very popular in the US. I did build a prototype a few years ago and it worked very well.
I started out with a couple of electric radiant wall mounted patio heaters which did not really work, Next I had a propane space heater which did heat the space but I was conscious of the moisture that these emit plus tools getting rusty , Now I have one of the diesel heaters which is brilliant, it sits on a bench with the exhaust and the combustion air intake piped outside Very controllable

Sometimes people (particularly beginners) ask on these fora questions that are based on misconception or invalid assumption. I know this firsthand because I have been in that situation. I think one of my first posts here was to ask advice on which table saw to buy -- like most beginners, I guess, I had watched a lot of (predominantly American) YouTube videos and was convinced that the table saw was the centre of any good workshop. Some people here suggested that I didn't want or need a table saw at all, most notably Custard, who was kind enough to give me a tour of his workshop and demonstrate the pros and cons of various machines with advice on which would be most suitable for my needs. That was a valuable learning experience and I am indebted to Custard for taking the time out of his day to help me. If everyone had simply answered my question I would probably now be the owner of a regrettably expensive mistake.

Whether you agree with them or not, I would ask you to consider that those who have responded have done so in good faith with the intention of helping the OP and, while you are entitled to your opinion, I do not feel your criticism is deserved.

“If everyone had simply answered my question....”

I’m not sure whether to laugh or be despondent at that one 🤔

Hi

If you have a large workshop and the height then one good way of heating is using a gas tube radiant heater, Tube Heaters | Schwank and there are others around. If not and the workshop gets a lot of use then fit a gas boiler and radiators, thats what I ended up with in a previous workshop. For most other applications oil filled rads offer a good solution to the home hobby shed/garage and once upto temperature do not run continous as the oil acts as a heat mass and so are reasonably efficient.

Yes. On the internet it's basically hard to gauge the extent to which someone knows how much they don't know - and with power tools and the like the stakes are higher than usual. There are some posters on here who can sometimes come across as a bit condescending, but for every one of those there are several who ask questions in a (and no offence meant to anyone here, nobody knows everything) naive-seeming way. A couple of examples in this case would be what mimimum separation between flammable materials in the shed structure and the flue should the OP aim for, and have they thought about air supply requirements (getting either wrong could be expensive or worse).

Very amusing.
We have a poster asking for information.
We have answers + information not asked for but if not required can be easily ignored.
Then we have a contributor telling off the posters who provided unasked for information who seems totally oblivious to the fact that his contribution was not asked for either.
I am aware my contribution was not asked for either but why buck the trend. :)

Drawn to this thread by the title.

The OP only answered post #8 when he got the answer he wanted.

No idea why he would want to use a portable wood burning camp stove to heat his 'shop. Maybe he also wants to cook on it and also use it in a tent at weekends?.

Without the background info it's bound to trigger people's imaginations and lead to unsolicited advice and 'banter' between the posters.

If you start a thread asking for advice it always helps to respond to posters to keep the thread focused.

Anyway, I think I'll get an oil filled rad and a smart plug to keep the chill off my little shed.

Very amusing.
We have a poster asking for information.
We have answers + information not asked for but if not required can be easily ignored.
Then we have a contributor telling off the posters who provided unasked for information who seems totally oblivious to the fact that his contribution was not asked for either.
I am aware my contribution was not asked for either but why buck the trend. :)

So sorry, I forgot I’m not in the inner circle and should not have tried to actually answer the OP‘s question.

Back