Heating allowance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I started to draw state pension in May (even though I was 65 in January).
I have just had £200 heating allowance and TBH I am a bit embarrassed about it.
It's nice but I don't really need it. It's just a vote buying scam isn't it? Even though we have forgotten exactly who introduced it, none would have the guts to stop it.
I plan to donate it to the Sally Army for Christmas lunches for folks who have been let down by the system.
These things ought to be means tested IMHO.
Opinions??

Yes it was used to buy votes from old folks and should really be means tested or applied in a different manner.

By all means donate to charity but don't give to the SA, they are one of the worst for spending it on themselves and not actually using the money to help people.

You could always pass it on to an OAP ex - pat. I've been retired 5 years, got a heating allowance one year only, then in another vote rigging bright idea they stopped it for anyone not living in the UK.

No, I dont exactly NEED it, but I wouldnt be embarrased to receive it from a government that spent 50 years charging me for it (bear in mind ALL government money was once the peoples money) .

Apparently means testing this payment would cost more than it would save. It's just cheaper to give it to everyone, whether they need it or not (the same for child benefit).

Right now, its 14 outside and it will drop to single digits before I go to bed. In jan / feb it will be zero at sunup and in single digits all day if the sun doesnt shine.
My heating is on now otherwise we would suffer hypothermia and the house would be wringing wet with condensation. Define "cold".

My mum used to get it, and enhanced because she was over 75. All sorts of other benefits too.
She was regarded as low income.
Her income was more than twice what mine is now.
Go figure.

I dont normally see any facebook rubbish, but the mrs left hers open and there was a really pertinent quote.
"If the national living wage is 18,000, how come the OAP pension is 8,500?

sunnybob":16eq69iv said:
Right now, its 14 outside and it will drop to single digits before I go to bed. In jan / feb it will be zero at sunup and in single digits all day if the sun doesnt shine.
My heating is on now otherwise we would suffer hypothermia and the house would be wringing wet with condensation. Define "cold".
Swap ya for Northumberland at the minute Bob. :wink:

sunnybob":2g7rz5k0 said:
I dont normally see any facebook rubbish, but the mrs left hers open and there was a really pertinent quote.

Mortgage? Paying for kids?

MikeG.":5dixuetu said:
Apparently means testing this payment would cost more than it would save. It's just cheaper to give it to everyone, whether they need it or not (the same for child benefit).
Not quite the same with Child Benefit. I have 3 kids and don't get it because I earn too much.

Selwyn":2hc4m97z said:
sunnybob":2hc4m97z said:

Mortgage? Paying for kids?

Many never had a mortgage so still pay rent the same as they did with young kids. The rest of us with mortgage paid still have the usual council tax and utilities bills. Heating and electricity for older people is usually more expensive because old people tend to feel the cold more, often are at home all day instead of being out at work so more lights, more TV, more kettles etc. and more workshop in the case of us woodworkers. :wink:

Kids might have gone but many still help them out and grand kids are not cheap. My wife collects my granddaughter from school several times a week, maybe only a 15 mile round trip but fuel still mounts up and more grandparents at the school than parents these days.

Lons":17v4ymju said:
sunnybob":17v4ymju said:
Swap ya for Northumberland at the minute Bob. :wink:

Thanks..... let me think.....nah.
I'm cold, no doubt about that. But I only get wet about twice a year, and thats enough for me 8) 8)

Being just up the road from Bob (Lons), I can tell you that the rains (hyperbolic plural) here are biblical over the last week in particular, the last fortnight in general. We have a low cloud base - think rose bush low - and the dreariness of the place is quite depressing; I'd give a lot for a drop of sunshine!
All that Bob said above re age and heat I concur with. In my old profession, the grandparents doing 'the school run' was definitely a high percentage of what tried to run me down as I cycled up the drive in the mornings...

Sam

Apart from the cost of means testing, it seems a lot of people in need don't apply for the money they're due for various reasons including pride and presumably competence. Some things are very fundamental needs and the state's right to make those automatic/ non-means tested - the reality is, for whatever reasons, lots of people would suffer if they didn't.

Apparently in 2016 'analysis of last year’s Department for Work and Pensions by Church Action on Poverty revealed that between them, working age families and pensioners are failing to claim more than £10bn a year in benefits. Others suggest low income households are missing out on £15bn in benefits and tax credits.'
https://www.independent.co.uk/money/spe ... 85166.html

sunnybob":3tf4rdz2 said:
I assume this is why workplace pensions are now compulsory, because the government doesn't want to have to pay for old folks. :?

MikeG.":cubwmwmj said:
This is looking dangerously like a political discussion. For goodness sake, we don't need another "BBC Rant" thread.
:shock:

ejection-seat-af-acesii.jpg

Back