Heating a garage workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paulm
Thank you for that. the garage door is as you suggested but I was also wondering when insulating the roof should I allow a flow of air. The current roofing space is open at either side to the attached garages, should I block that air flow? or should I insulate and allow the current of air to flow above the insulation?

Not sure I would want to be effectively heating adjacent garages via the open roof spaces, at my expense ! Security also comes to mind.

If the garage ends up well insulated and the chill taken off it then dampness is hopefully reduced also and air flow isn't an issue to my mind ?

Can those advocating oil filled radiators tell me what wattage the lowest setting is please? I'm trying to approximate the cost of leaving one on 24hrs 7 days a week in Winter in a well insulated 30m2 shop.

I use a woodburner and it keeps the place OK through winter. I am there 4 days 9 hrs though. its a lot of wood but the effects seem to extend overnight( though it goes cold) it must warm the mass of concrete etc up.

If the problem is warm air getting to cold tools causing condensation then the infa red heaters above should be a good option, as I understand it they warm you up without raising the air temp genrally (is that possible??)
Steve.

Can those advocating oil filled radiators tell me what wattage the lowest setting is please? I'm trying to approximate the cost of leaving one on 24hrs 7 days a week in Winter in a well insulated 30m2 shop.
It shouldn't be using max power 24/7 though. I set the thermostat on mine between 12 and 15C (the higher end if I know I'm going to do stuff in the garage with chemicals that like a bit more temperature). In a well insulated space it won't be running for long periods when the room is up to temperature.

Bit more expense but I have a similar garage and three things made an unbelievable difference;
1. Swap the up and over door for a pair of side opening doors
2. Fit a substantial high quality door cill to stop the draughts round the bottom
3. Insulate the back of the doors with celotex or similar (I managed to cut it to fit in the panel recesses on the back) then use gap filling foam to cut out any draughts around the door frame

My previously cold garage now manages very well on a tiny electric fan heater

If the problem is warm air getting to cold tools causing condensation then the infa red heaters above should be a good option, as I understand it they warm you up without raising the air temp genrally (is that possible??)
Steve.
Pretty much. I got mine because I have p poor circulation and my hands get cold quickly. When it does go below zero (rarely) I stick it on one or two bars for an hour before need to work there - it warms enough without causing a condensation problem.

Pretty much. I got mine because I have p poor circulation and my hands get cold quickly. When it does go below zero (rarely) I stick it on one or two bars for an hour before need to work there - it warms enough without causing a condensation problem.
Sounds like the perfect solution, many thanks for that,
Steve.

Latest posts

Back