heat treatment for woodworm??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I got some nice spalted beech, a circular piece about 30mm thick and 150mm diameter and halfway through carving a sun motif, I have noticed some woodworm holes appearing and now if I look closely i can see one or 2 exterior holes which weren't obvious before. The wood was bought from a reputable dealer and almost certainly kiln dried.
Can I rely on this to kill the beasties or would a blast in the kitchen oven at a low temp be advisable or maybe i should get some vile chemical and expensive stuff to put on? As you can tell I'm not fond of insecticides and like to be organic if poss. Ta.

Jason - What a good idea :) Have you actually tried it :?: Seems to me the ideal solution for small pieces that will fir in the m/wave cooker. Mine is not very big but would take an average size bowl I guess.

No, never tried it but I have read that people use the MW to dry their wood.

Jason

I've tried microwaving timber and it has a tendency to split the wood, plus I have just found out that there has been some research to show that microwaving wood damages the fibres, permanently weakening the timber.

Better off putting it in the freezer for 3 days, taking it out (the little blighters think they've survived a harsh winter) allowing the wood to defrost for a couple of days and then back in freezer for another 3 days.

Tends to work.

Be vigulant if you use the Microwave and the wood is already fairly dry, it will burn very easily and your popularity in the kitchen can go down rapidly. (don't ask me how I know this :oops: , subject matter is closed and I now have my own microwave )

Also with the freezing I would think that the repartition as per The Restorer's advice would be essential to fool them into becoming active/hatching out as the little critters seem to survive long spells of very low temperatures (-20/-30 c) in Bavaria to my knowledge.

Kiln drying timber kills the woodworm , if the holes are big enough to see then they are flight holes and the woodworm have already left your timber .

Back