Heads-up - Gluing Accoya

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other timbers are extremely stable possibly more than accoya. What is your application here?
I build snooker/pool cue cases I generally use the accoya for the frame that are 10mm x 20mm. After reading this though I've ordered some poplar to try out. What you you recommend?

Quebec yellow pine. Poplar is not quite as stable. (Not southern yellow that's like pitch pine)
It's occasionally called Eastern White pine or an old term is Weymouth pine.

Also I would not want things that are precious to close to highly acidic wood. Qyp is not unlike radiata pine. Very light quite soft and also dried for internal work. But most of all very stable. Pretty economical as well.

I seem to be a lone voice saying "why accoya" the very existence of joinery in a traditional form is because wood moves. Painting happens because wood degrades. I do not advocate accoya in heritage buildings. It's highly acidic and to envisage paint being for life is just crazy. If I so much as bring up a dissenting word against accoya it's like I've insulted there mother. It's corrosive on leaded glass and the lead itself. It's also as has been hinted at brittle and hard to glue. As well as being price controlled by a single very cynical company. It's not even available in the right section for this particular example!
Not just you, I won't use it. I have had some experience of how brittle it is, I find it horrible to use.

Obeche is quite stable too. I machine some picture frame mouldings for some clients and use it.

Nick

I seem to be a lone voice saying "why accoya" the very existence of joinery in a traditional form is because wood moves. Painting happens because wood degrades. I do not advocate accoya in heritage buildings. It's highly acidic and to envisage paint being for life is just crazy. If I so much as bring up a dissenting word against accoya it's like I've insulted there mother. It's corrosive on leaded glass and the lead itself. It's also as has been hinted at brittle and hard to glue. As well as being price controlled by a single very cynical company. It's not even available in the right section for this particular example!
You’re not alone Johnny, I never got on with it and we gave it a really good go.
Used tons of it but it wasn’t for me.

Back