Heads up - Advertising scam on here.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understood the point to be Mike that the advertisements were scams and the these scams were being delivered among ads on UKW. The issue as I understood it was that UKW was not filtering out scam ads. Members wanted to feel safe here perhaps.

One ad is supposed to have done this and NO ONE has provided the actual ad name so it can be blocked. So you are totally incorrect.

I have just now learned that one said something about "you have an email waiting" and the other "You have one unread message"

So watch out if you see anything like that. In the meantime, I'll see if there is a category those would fit into that I can ask to be blocked.

@MARK.B. Thanks, I'm taking first steps I need to do to get that removed. In the meantime if anyone sees it, there is a small X in the upper right hand corner of any ad, and you can click on that to stop seeing that type of ad. And the little sideways triangle next to it will let you set what type of ads you may or may not see. Of course, if logged in you can have it set not to see any ads.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/account/preferences
And just set it to not see the ads, remember to save when done.

Yea as Angie has stated we run Google Adsense, so it's Google serving these ads. They have some serious fraud protections in place but some sneak through, if you see an offensive ad or bad URL, just PM Angie and she can manually go into Adsense and block it but unfortunately Adsense doesn't provide extensive filters for us. This site has always ran Adsense, so these ads are not new.

Good news! I have been in contact with the Ad provider and those ads are being blocked. They are doing the settings today so they may be blocked in the next hour or so. A big thank you to the members that send me screen shots so I could provide the information to have those removed. IF you see any others like that, please get a screen shot and send to me.

Personally, I think our Government should be challenging the Indian government for greater action in dealing with these bogus 'call centres' operating freely in India.

The call centers are not in India, but here in the UK. Same place who calls you for your gas/elec or phone/inter.

Received a call yesterday from some guy with a thick Indian accent.

Hello
Good day to you Sir
I am calling about your TV
ok.
From next month the cost will be £7.99
Thats great, but may I ask you a question.
Certainly sir.
On average how many calls do you have to make before you find an silly person to bite.
Thank you sir good day.

Back