HDMI splitter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
My sons and I have a bit of a boys room with a big sofa, big telly, surround sound, PS4 etc for movies and gaming.

Eldest son has a gaming set up in another room with his Xbox, desk, keyboard and mouse etc.

Youngest son now wants a gaming desk with keyboard and mouse for the PS4 but I play on it a bit and just want to kick back and chill on the sofa when I'm gaming.

If I get him a desk, keyboard and small tv etc (will be in same room as big TV) can I just buy a splitter so the HDMI from the PS4 can go to both TV's? Both TV's won't be used for gaming at the same time, it's just so he has his own little gaming set up but I can still play on the sofa and big TV when I fancy a go.

Splitters look to start about £10 on Amazon, some a bit more expensive seem to need power, presume they are better?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, Doug

I’m far from a HDMI expert, perhaps there is one coming, but my understanding is there are communications that happen between device and display. These communications can result in display problems if not replicated/managed correctly, and this is the key to a splitter. I’m not sure how an unpowered splitter would manage this issue. I have used one to split my sky box signal between two TVs for a few years with good success, only had a couple of instances where had to power off and on to make work.
Mine is a ‘Cablesson HDelity 1x2HDMI Deep Colour & full 3D Splitter’.
fitz

this was one of the first listings that came up on e bay. 4K Full HD 4 Way Amplifier For PS3 TV Box HDMI Splitter 1 input 4 output 1080P | eBay. although four outputs
i have used similiar for years. if you search the listings they are all basically the same box in different colours. when i was looking i was recommended to just buy the chsapest available as they are all the same inside, just the number of outputs varies. dont buy a passive splitter, the amplified ones like the link are better. i use mine with 15m cables no problem.
some come with a usb lead to power but i went with seperate power supply. not much difference in price anyway.

here is another but cheaper and the box is just the same. HDMI Splitter 1 input 4 output 1080P 4K Full HD 4 Way Amplifier For PS3 TV Box | eBay
make sure you get one with a proper uk plug on the psu as well. ie dont accept ones with an american two pin plug as they shouldnt be sold in the uk.

Back