Hayward Roughing Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice.
For someone who doesn't use dowels very much, could you describe how you manage to get 8 of them to line up nicely?

Very nice, isn't it satisfying when it first takes shavings ... speaking of which, it didn't happen if there are no pictures ... we want shavings !

Liquid hide glue would make the job a lot less stressful. It seems to let joints just slip together. I have taken to using if for chair glue-ups after trying titebond and having a stressful time with a big mallet.

Looks very nice indeed!

Did you get the opening for the throat right first time, or did you have to do lots of trial-and-error type dry fitting?

+1 for seeing the shavings!

MikeG.":110jro2m said:
Excellent, Phlebas. Is that just a normal Stanley-like blade?

Thank you. Yes, it is, and indeed. more than that, it is a genuine (modern) Stanley spare iron. Homebase in my neck of the woods went though a bizarre phase of mispricing (could have been Bunnings disaffected staff), but they honoured the tags on the shelves, even if their till said different. So that blade cost me £4 I think.

Aesthetically the iron should be shorter, but it is no problem in use, which is the main thing.

Droogs":zpso1db3 said:
Thanks I enjoyed that, well done.

Glad you liked it. Am I right in thinking you are a fellow Scot? (And therefore obviously a right thinking upright individual, the weight of whose judgment is thereby axiomatically greater).

interesting design and very well executed, it'd be good to see it in action.

samhay":2mak64vk said:
Very nice.
For someone who doesn't use dowels very much, could you describe how you manage to get 8 of them to line up nicely?

Thank you. After that glue up experience I'm not sure i'm going to use them very much, either.

Briefly, veneer pins half driven into the centres on one side, the heads nipped off short, and the two parts clamped togeter in line, thus marking the centres on the mating part. Pull out the pins, and then drill with a pointy bit drill as serenely as you can.

That's how I did it any way. There are probably more elegant solutions. But they might cost more.

Sheffield Tony":177mk5zz said:
Very nice, isn't it satisfying when it first takes shavings ... speaking of which, it didn't happen if there are no pictures ... we want shavings !

Liquid hide glue would make the job a lot less stressful. It seems to let joints just slip together. I have taken to using if for chair glue-ups after trying titebond and having a stressful time with a big mallet.

Well, i'm in the 'burgh just now, and the plane is in the Borders. But I will take some photographs of shavings next week end.

And, yes, I think I will try a different glue in future. But this really only started as a 'see what I can do with these pieces of wood thing'. So I used what I had.

sammy.se":knfzquku said:
Looks very nice indeed!

Did you get the opening for the throat right first time, or did you have to do lots of trial-and-error type dry fitting?

+1 for seeing the shavings!

Thank you.

The benefit of the sawing it in half method is that it is relatively easy to get the throat right just from the saw cut . I used a very sharp wide chisel, and then the plane iron itself to take out any irregularities in the bedding surface once the halves were glued back together. I suspect I was lucky, but it all seemed to go swimmingly.

thetyreman":60x835yt said:
interesting design and very well executed, it'd be good to see it in action.

Very kind of you to say so. Pp12 and 13 of Hayward's 'How to Make Woodwork Tools'. No credit accrues to me for the design.

Actually, I need to camber the blade a bit more for it's intended use as a roughing plane. But my trusty out of true and dished oil stone will undoubtedly take care of that.

from my extremely limited and ignorant viewpoint, I dont understand how you use that plane. The handle appears to be on backwards. Is it a push me pull you?

Phlebas":nnjuk2gx said:
Briefly, veneer pins half driven into the centres on one side, the heads nipped off short, and the two parts clamped togeter in line, thus marking the centres on the mating part. Pull out the pins, and then drill with a pointy bit drill as serenely as you can.

That's how I did it any way. There are probably more elegant solutions. But they might cost more.

Thanks. That's what I've tried in the past. Expect I didn't do the drilling and/or lining up of the two pieces accurate enough.

Orraloon":3sp4kmrx said:
Nicely done. It's very satisfying taking some shavings on a plane you made yourself.
Regards
John

Thank you, John. It is indeed, and even more so when it's been made of firewood. Or that could be just me.

sunnybob":1zdnx5ht said:
from my extremely limited and ignorant viewpoint, I dont understand how you use that plane. The handle appears to be on backwards. Is it a push me pull you?
Hi, Sunnybob.

I am no expert, but I believe that style is now known as a continental pattern, particularly Germany and the low countries. Although I can vouch for it being widely used in the Baltic countries too (mind you the Swedes (with some honourable exceptions) seem to prefer machines). It was common in the UK too until maybe the 17/18th century. I think, I pretend to no in depth knowledge.

Normally you push it, but you can pull it as well. Much like any other plane.

Thusly (not me btw)

ece-hand-plane-pushing.jpg

And thusly

ece-jack-plane-pulling.jpg

Attachments

• ece-hand-plane-pushing.jpg
    ece-hand-plane-pushing.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 238
  • ece-jack-plane-pulling.jpg
    ece-jack-plane-pulling.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 239
Sheffield Tony":d5fhpe39 said:

Ok, as requested.

Roughing Plane 17.jpg

Roughing Plane 18.jpg

Roughing Plane 19.jpg

I need to camber the iron a bit more for it to fulfill its purpose as a roughing plane, but better to start from the right end of the spectrum I guess. I'm still amazed I made something that works.

Attachments

• Roughing Plane 17.jpg
    Roughing Plane 17.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 219
  • Roughing Plane 18.jpg
    Roughing Plane 18.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 240
  • Roughing Plane 19.jpg
    Roughing Plane 19.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 244
Back