Hawthorne Log

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
My son Richard found this Hawthorne tree, roots an'all, in a roadside hedge, first thoughts of course, once it is home, is what to do with it? What would you do? I have already done, and will post up the pics later, but I am interested in others ideas.

HL-1.jpg

HL-2.jpg

More pics tomorrow!

Thanks for your comment John, there were a few stones but mainly soil, as it is here I have already been at it with a power spray, so it's pretty clean, but you were correct of course to point out the inherent risk with such pieces. I too thought bowl, but did I do that? :) (I did with the top end at least.)

I started off with trimming the scraps off.

HL-3.jpg

HL-4.jpg

HL-5.jpg

Then I sawed the end off and mounted it in the lathe, using a two prong drive spur.

HL-6.jpg

HL-7.jpg

HL-8.jpg

A Shape already suggested itself that would maximise the wild nature of the grain around the roots and I started to rough this out, the spur drive jumped out a couple of times as the torque was pretty heavy and the speed was quite low (about 400 rpm) but it just went off centre rather than flying around the workshop at that speed, I was happy enough with that.

HL-9.jpg

HL-10.jpg

HL-11.jpg

HL-12.jpg

I resized the piece to a more pleasing dimension and drilled out a core with a forstner type bit to a depth of about 4", then drilled the rest of the way down with a 12mm long shank woodspur bit.

HL-18.jpg

HL-13.jpg

I then commenced hollowing out to a thickness of about 18mm except for the base which I left heavy in case I needed to revise the shape some or cut a new tenon.

HL-14.jpg

HL-15.jpg

Hollowing was done with a home made tool using a 5/8" shaft, a small mild steel cutter holder (home made) and a Carbide cutting disk from AZ Carbide.

HL-16.jpg

HL-17.jpg

The piece is now drying and already showing a lot of splitting, so I am intending to use coloured fills and other effects on this once it has dried, be a few months yet.

Looks like it will be interesting once complete. Certainly, a challenge knowing what to do with a root ball shame. I have a ornamental cherry root ball to turn but that will be something for the future

Back