Hawthorne (first picture posting experiment).

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wouldchuk

Established Member
Reaction score
So here we have my first photo upload... this could be the start of something wonderful...

If it works you should have a photo of a wheelbarrow full with Hawthorne - and a pile of ash for firewood. Try to ignore all the surrounding junk... :oops:

In my early attempts at turning hawthorne it looks amazing, lovely dense wood with lots of colour, but it always ends up splitting.

I''m going to try and turn one of those small lumps as it is, reasonably green - this lot came out from a drainage ditch project going on in the field behind the river, so Im guessing it was cut a month ago and has been sat on the roof of the boat with a tarpaulin on it since then.

Shall I just try and turn this down to a reasonably thin thickness and see what happens?? Any tips etc most appreciated - I dont even know yet what project/shape I shall attempt - maybe a small bowl first.

Experimental photos to follow I hope!

Hawthorne.jpg

Seasonal greetings!

Do you know something that we dont , I see a blue one as well.

Nice haul of wood BTW hope you get to use it before the flood.

The bodgers might be able to help you here.

I would have thought rough it out green to whatever you're going for then let the not–quite-blanks dry a little, and slowly, before having a final go.

... mostly i turn a bit further downstream where the river gets wider.... :lol: Groan....

Indeed, it's not conducive to a lathe onboard - it'd probably capsize and the sawdust would make it itchy in bed.... i'm fortunate enough to have a workshop at my father's which i can use.

If i get time, I hope to tackle some of these bits over the next few days - now that I have the power of photo-uploading you will get to see the terrible results soon enough I expect!

Have a good Christmas folks. :deer

Well I got 50% of the colours right which is a big plus for me.
Look fwd. to your next pictures have a great time.

Happy Christmas.

Back