Hawthorn

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was given some bits of pyracanthas which I sawed down the middle to stop it splitting. It’s a lovely creamy colour and seems quite hard. I was wondering if I might be able to make a locket or other similar small pieces from it. If I was to turn it I have no idea how to hold it on the lathe. Is there anyone with any advice out there? I got the idea for the locket when I came across one that must have belonged to my great-grand mother. I have no idea what it was made from though it felt wooden. I'm not up to the carving but a plain two part one might be practical.

I would chuck up a short dowel or squared blank, 3 to 4 inches long, and then turn the outer ends down to make thinner supports, about half the diameter. I would then turn the central bit into the locket body, retaining as much of the diameter as I could, and then gradually work down the faces. I would also use a V gouge to mark a centre line to guide my saw when parting to form the two halves. Finally part the piece off from the supporting dowels. You may want to remove the dowel remnants with a fine saw, rather than using your parting tool on the lathe, if you lack the confidence.

You should do as much sanding on the lathe as you can before parting it off then us a sharp chisel to shave the remnants of the nub. You shouldn't have much sanding to do then to blend it in.

Thereafter it will be a test of your sawing ability to part the two halves down the middle.

I would chuck up a short dowel or squared blank, 3 to 4 inches long, and then turn the outer ends down to make thinner supports
Thanks that seems something I can manage. I'll post a picture on the recent projects line if I'm successful.
Any ideas about the hinge?

Latest posts

Back