• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Having trouble with wood finishes…hardwax oils vs varnish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

ol_london

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve made a few kitchen tables for people over the past year out of solid European oak. All great until a couple have come back to me because the finish is not holding up to stains like grease marks and liquid etc.

I’ve been using Fiddes clear satin hardwax oil which is similar to Osmo. I’m considering switching to using varnish instead but I’m worried that I’ll get a plasticy look and also will it even be better than the hardwax oil as stain resistance.
Any brands people can recommend? Is Ronseal satin water based Diamond Hard any good??
Thanks

Distinterior

Established Member
Reaction score
Take a look at Rubio Monocoat......On the occasions that I've needed to coat a table or kitchen worktop, it's what I've used for years.
Not cheap, but never had any comebacks 👍
It's a two pack system and you have to be careful to mix the correct percentages of each ..... I've always used the "Pure" colour.

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
Knowing when and where to use what type of finish is one of the biggest minefields for newer woodworkers. Each type has its merits in the right situation. When it comes to furniture that will likely be exposed to high heat and water like a kitchen table, although giving a great look will need a lot of upkeep and protection. That is something that has to be reinforced to a customer if they want an oil or wax based finish. That is there responsibility once in situ (but you do have to point this out). For instance with oil I pas on the maxim - "Oil the piece once a day for a week, then once a week for a month, then once a month for a year". And always use coaster or trivets.

There are quite a few reasonable books about finishes free on kindle unlimited but one you have to pay for that is very good is below:

For free standing kitchen furniture pieces I would recommend a wipe on poly or if the customer is more hip or traditional then a soap finish

ol_london

Established Member
Reaction score
Knowing when and where to use what type of finish is one of the biggest minefields for newer woodworkers. Each type has its merits in the right situation. When it comes to furniture that will likely be exposed to high heat and water like a kitchen table, although giving a great look will need a lot of upkeep and protection. That is something that has to be reinforced to a customer if they want an oil or wax based finish. That is there responsibility once in situ (but you do have to point this out). For instance with oil I pas on the maxim - "Oil the piece once a day for a week, then once a week for a month, then once a month for a year". And always use coaster or trivets.

There are quite a few reasonable books about finishes free on kindle unlimited but one you have to pay for that is very good is below:

For free standing kitchen furniture pieces I would recommend a wipe on poly or if the customer is more hip or traditional then a soap finish
Thanks. I like the principle but no customer I’ve met can be bothered to oil a table, especially that often. When they buy one from John Lewis or IKEA they don’t have to oil it.

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
When they buy it from there its covered in poly AKA plastic. Just before I had to lock myself away due to the lurgy, I fitted a solid elm library and handed the proud new owner 2ltrs of BLO as they gave me the cheque I had pointed out every time I saw them about what was needed with an oil finish. Same with the 2 computer cases I had done as well

It's part of your job to educate your clients so they come back to you later

Last edited:

furnace

Established Member
Reaction score
Any brands people can recommend? Is Ronseal satin water based Diamond Hard any good??
I've used Ronseal Diamond Hard water based on an ash credenza and it looks good and has held up well. It needs to be applied carefully (not a slap on with a brush) but is nice to use with no nasty solvents