Having fun with cherry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I would just have fun today and nearly got carried away watching the nice long shaving flying off. This is from a Cherry tree I took down last year turned wet. And then wet sanded with lemon oil the workshop does smell nice now but the downside I now need to go and clean up after my coffee. No finish yet will see what happens overnight 4mm thickness all over even the bottom to give it at least half a chance.

And yes I am watching you :lol: :lol: :lol:

20200426_152913 (768x1024).jpg
20200426_174019 (768x1024).jpg
20200426_174028 (768x1024).jpg

Attachments

• 20200426_152913 (768x1024).jpg
    20200426_152913 (768x1024).jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 368
  • 20200426_174019 (768x1024).jpg
    20200426_174019 (768x1024).jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 347
  • 20200426_174028 (768x1024).jpg
    20200426_174028 (768x1024).jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 347
He needs a painted-on moustache and eyebrows! :)

I've also had fun with cherry today, but at the other end of the life-cycle. I've planted a CHerry Stella. I'd post a pic but for some reason I can't get it off my phone :(

Steve Maskery":27l5ac2m said:
He needs a painted-on moustache and eyebrows! :)

I've also had fun with cherry today, but at the other end of the life-cycle. I've planted a CHerry Stella. I'd post a pic but for some reason I can't get it off my phone :(

My cherry just did not produce many and what it did the birds always beat me to them so down it came to be recycled into some woodwork. This was one of the branches.

I did not notice the face until I put the image on my computer

Nice one Derek, I love the smell of green cherrywood!

KimG":fpfglq6f said:
Nice one Derek, I love the smell of green cherrywood!

Thank you Kim the problem is that turning wet wood can be very mesmerizing and you could so easily get carried away and go through the side/bottom

Derek,
I've only been turning a year so very new still. I have loads of cherry stored. Couple of quick questions. Would you expect much movement in that piece as it was turned wet? What is the advantage of wet sanding, other than less dust I guess?
Thanks in advance.

Mark

Mdhazell":2bfxvl3s said:
Derek,
I've only been turning a year so very new still. I have loads of cherry stored. Couple of quick questions. Would you expect much movement in that piece as it was turned wet? What is the advantage of wet sanding, other than less dust I guess?
Thanks in advance.

Mark

Movement of wood varies from species to species if a piece is turned wet and to a constant thickness including the base it may move to varying extents rather than split which can happen when it is in log form.
Sanding wet does certainly reduce dust I used Lemon oil in this case which sanding wet helps the oil time to soak in (as well as make the workshop smell great :lol: ) With this because I turned to finish rather than rough turn sanding is by the nature of the wood being wet is done wet but blocks up the sandpaper but I did find that another up side of the lemon oil it did not clog the paper as much
The oil also replaces some of the water but not all. I learnt this from Mark Sanger he could explain this better than I can unfortunately he is not on this forum.
I have just been out to the workshop and checked this after leaving it over night very little movement so far and no signs of any splits which cherry is well known for but that does not mean it will not as it is early days.
Sometimes you just need to take the chance

Dalboy":25pm7nt5 said:
The oil also replaces some of the water but not all. I learnt this from Mark Sanger he could explain this better than I can unfortunately he is not on this forum.
I have just been out to the workshop and checked this after leaving it over night very little movement so far and no signs of any splits...
I think the 'white spirit' base of the Lemon Oil may be miscible with the water in the wood cells as well Derek and slows the water dispersal which helps reduce the stresses in the wood.
Let's hope the piece has a strong enough 'character' built in to manage its own behaviour.

CHJ":o6x69mc7 said:
Dalboy":o6x69mc7 said:
I have just been out to the workshop and checked this after leaving it over night very little movement so far and no signs of any splits...
I think the 'white spirit' base of the Lemon Oil may be miscible with the water in the wood cells as well Derek and slows the water dispersal which helps reduce the stresses in the wood.
Let's hope the piece has a strong enough 'character' built in to manage its own behaviour.

If it survives then nothing lost but I did have fun turning it.

Well as of 5 minutes ago the cherry vase has moved a little and a very small split appeared in the bottom but does not go all the way through.
I did expect it to be worse than this concidering that it is Cherry and was still very wet as well including the pith in the piece.

20200428_174124 (768x1024).jpg

Attachments

• 20200428_174124 (768x1024).jpg
    20200428_174124 (768x1024).jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 138

Latest posts

Back