Have you seen the size of this !!!!!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blister":1t3tt579 said:
Amazing how a topic can change #-o

I started out by saying " -------------------- "

and now its a VAT topic #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o :? :? :? :? :?

be fair Allen, you linked to a live ebay item and (in my case) I highlighted the small print element for others benefit in case they bid, and included the wider question of whether this was actually permitted (because I buy a lot on ebay and certainly don't look at all the small print beyond price bid and postage arrangements!

Looking into it further, I don't think it matters if it's BIN or auction, the price bid is, subject to postage, the price paid. This would also be the price upon which the seller, if applicable, would account for vat (and any other taxes). I was however interested in any other members experiences, or views, on the matter.

Hi Blister, I used to turn on 1 of these Wadkins. you could turn up to 8'-0" diameter on the faceplate & about 12'-0" long spindles. The bed wound away from the headstock pedestal by rack & pinion to leave a space about 2'-0" wide to turn large diameters. I see in the photo the free standing tool rest is there. These were very heavy & stable to use.

I am hardly surprised the topic shot off in another direction. The lathe is mammoth, but so to is the completely self absorption of the seller. I reckon it could be difficult to sell as he seems to have excluded almost every kind of buyer in the secondhand machinery market from coming over for a look at it. On top of that he wants to add 20% to the price afterwards although he calls it VAT because it is true you can't sell ex VAT on ebay. Perhaps he is inexperienced in ebayer. He certainly is not good at writing advertisements.

Well, we've got a couple of "old Wadkin" enthusiasts on the other side of the Atlantic, but imagine the shipping costs! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes, looking at the Steinert Gamma 300/1100 and I'm guessing the big old Wadkin weighs about 10 times as much,about 6 jillion $. Actually the freight on the Steinert is really not that bad, considering it is going halfway round the world and the package will weigh over 400kgs. I will keep you posted. Love this old Wadkin though, and I think I might have found a good home for it.

Back