have you heard of saw stop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This strikes me as being a good system.

The doubt that I have is whether people will be prepared to spend the extra.

Also, it doesn't do anything to eliminate kick-back.

Gary

Don't think anything will help to eliminate the chance of kickback other than a power feeder. A well tuned TS is the best defence.

Noel, handing over to Scrit

Taffy Turner":2b2r1ehg said:
Also, it doesn't do anything to eliminate kick-back.
I quite agree, although the manufacturers do fit a proper riving knife only to make a codge of it by not fitting a rip fence which can be adjusted for use as a short rip fence :roll:

Noel":2b2r1ehg said:
Noel, handing over to Scrit
On form, then? :lol:

Scrit

As said above, this might be standard on all TS some time in the future, but don't hold your breath :)

As Niki said, safety is primarily in the mind, not in the machine.

Personly I did wonder why the blade had to drop down, this seemed like an additional complication & cost, after all, if a dirty great lump of metal is fired into the blade & it stops in micro seconds isn't that all that's required.

Maybe I'm missing some point here.

Losos":1i8r1fxe said:
Personly I did wonder why the blade had to drop down, this seemed like an additional complication & cost, after all, if a dirty great lump of metal is fired into the blade & it stops in micro seconds isn't that all that's required.
I'd be interested to know if the SawStop has a braked motor as well. A good quality braked motor can achieve sub-1 second stopping but even that is too slow to prevent injury or amputation in some cases (300mm blade with 72t @ 3,000rpm = 3,600 teeth per second whizzing past the timber). It gets even worse when you are trying to stop a great big lump of metal like a dado set, so I can see the logic behind withdrawing the blade as a secondary backup and as a way to reduce the likelihood of a kickback, although according to the SawStop web site you need to replace the standard safety cartridge with a special dado one to run a dado set safely on the SawStop. It's just a pity that the designers had to go to this extent to produce a saw which still has a poorly designed (i.e. kick-back prone) rip fence and which is advertised without a crown guard (a dado width guard is still not available) - glaring omissions in such a safe system wouldn't you say?

Scrit

Hi all,

I suspect the "dropping" away of the blade is to cater for the momentum of the blade. i.e. the spinning blade is stopped by the Aluminium but the blade then "wants" to roll off causing an impulse vector through the shaft. The direction is downwards thus the blade dips away.

Is it not possible to replace the fence with something better. I for one am keen on keeping my fingers :roll: and being clumsy I am neurotic about it. Maybe worth the money to import? and replace the fence?

Any ideas?

Well, prepare to write a wee cheque for £3k or so and budget for a 60Hz factory motor / motor swap / or keep your fingers crossed that the safety mechanisn will operate on 60Hz (expensive to check...). USD price is around $3,270.

nonidentity":36rvyqmy said:
Is it not possible to replace the fence with something better. I for one am keen on keeping my fingers :roll: and being clumsy I am neurotic about it. Maybe worth the money to import? and replace the fence?
The comment about the fence was because they seem to have missed a fundamental cause of kickback in the design - which I feel is a pity as it's so easily remedied. The vast majority of buyers probably won't know about causes of kickback and so won't know what to do about it.

If you import it will this system work on 50Hz electricity? There appears to be some type of solid circuit control in there which might require a specific mains frequency.

Scrit

If you import it will this system work on 50Hz electricity? There appears to be some type of solid circuit control in there which might require a specific mains frequency.

See my post earlier on in this thread, it links to a very short description of exactly how the device works

Seems that it went unnoticed and I wonder why I bothered :roll:

I would be very surprised to find that 50/60 Hz supply affects it's operation as the electronics run on DC from a transformer- rectifier-regualtor arrangelent and the actual sensing signal is 10KHz

Tony":6ucggw6x said:
Seems that it went unnoticed and I wonder why I bothered :roll:

I would be very surprised to find that 50/60 Hz supply affects it's operation as the electronics run on DC from a transformer- rectifier-regualtor arrangelent and the actual sensing signal is 10KHz
Tony, I am a woodworker, not an electronics engineer. Call me suspicious, but I have the past contacted the SawStop people and asked that self same question ("will it work on 50Hz power") and been told that they didn't know. It's all a bit academic, really, as the saw isn't CE marked in any case (or at least it wasn't last year).

Scrit

Scrit":3ba2sram said:
Tony, I am a woodworker, not an electronics engineer.

Apologies Scrit, I was a little miffed to see that my post went by apparently ignored when it does contain the answers to questions raised here.

Maybe we should get together. I know about electronics and from what I have seen you know more than I will ever know about woodwork - swap knowledge :wink:

Call me suspicious, but I have the past contacted the SawStop people and asked that self same question ("will it work on 50Hz power") and been told that they didn't know[/].

I think you probably talked to a sales rep or similar, and I'm not surprised to hear that they didn't know :roll: Why should a rep selling woodworking machinery know about the electronics driving it?

CE will be an issue, the safety device working on 50Hz supply won't

Tony":2msm04p7 said:
Maybe we should get together. I know about electronics and from what I have seen you know more than I will ever know about woodwork - swap knowledge :wink:
Yeah, but why would you need to saw a silicon chip in two? :lol:

Scrit

what's more worrying is that they seem to saw the chips into hundreds
of pieces, not in half.

don't think my sawing is good enough to saw the silicon in half let
alone the chips too :lol: :lol:

paul :wink:

Latest posts

Back