Have they fitted the worktops properly?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
One of my customers phoned me today to see if I would call round to look at the kitchen they are having fitted as they were not sure if the worktops were done properly.

I called round this evening. She showed me where the fitters have butt jointed the oak worktop in a corner, I told her that was fine, the correct way to do it.

She then went on to explain that she had watched them do it and it really was just butt jointed, no biscuits, dominos or worktop bolts (the supplied bolts were still in the box). They just cut the worktops, put some pva on the end, butted them together and put some screws through the top of the base units in to the underside of the worktop.

Well done lads, top job =D>

Jobs a good'un!

I bet there's plenty of people that wouldn't be skeptical about it and would just let them get on with it thinking that they "Know what they're doing". Give it a couple of months and the join would've opened up a beauty and the units will be knocked out of kilter by the top moving with them screwed firmly to it.

ALWAYS BE SKEPTICAL! Even of my work :lol:

Doug71":26oxlbdy said:
... they were not sure if the worktops were done properly.
Highly amusing. What have you suggested your customer do, now that you've seen it, and the customer is (presumably?) aware of the eccentric installation technique?

Accept it, or ask for reinstallation? Slainte.

Just to avoid any confusion when I say a customer of mine I have done work for them in the past, built in alcove units etc, the new kitchen is nothing to do with me. They have had a builder doing some alterations and he has organised the new kitchen. They asked me to look as they had a feeling that things were not being done properly. Can't believe the mess some people work in, they have had to order quite a few new doors for kitchen as fitters keep scratching and denting them by knocking over etc. Customer was going to ask fitter today about his worktop fitting method, will be interesting to hear his answer!

Doug, I realised it was not your work that was being questioned. I apologise if you felt I implied that. Slainte.

I would butt joint them, but would either dry fit a biscuit or domino.
I would also bolt them, but not glue them, this means if they shrink you can pull them up again if need be.

Latest posts

Back