Have any of you made your own front doors?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFS19

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently making some raised panel internal doors and I was wondering whether anyone has done the same thing but for a front door and how involved it is? I'm unsure what is different exactly but I know some aspects are, and we'd like a window if I were to build one.

We currently have one of those PVC ones but I think they look bloody awful to be honest.

Thanks!

In short yes! A bit more involved. Mine is a replica of old oak (in my case) Morroccan double doors, double thickness, iron studded. Quite a bit more involved than cupboard doors really.

Made quite a few including frames.

cyCoNUX.jpg

Have a look at page two of this thread which shows an example of construction

making-a-door-t19473-15.html

If i can help in any way do not hesitate, here to help

I made ours, because I wanted a wooden one which was double glazed. Thankfully for me, I did it before it fell under the auspices of building control ! I think I mostly met the requirements of part Q anyway - amongst other things it specifies the density of wood, maximum width and minimum thickness of panels, locking arrangements, glazing etc, etc.

I didn’t realise building control applied! I was thinking of making our so will need to check requirements. Another regulation....!

I've just made some french doors - still a bit of finishing to do. 56mm thick accoya. For 24mm DGU fixed with a dry glazing system and internally beaded.

Attachments

• 2018-07-15 14.jpg
    2018-07-15 14.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 123
I've just made my front door, and will be posting a thread shortly:

GdePuOb.jpg

akBRimU.jpg

This is the external front door, in the porch. The inner front door is the one at the line of insulation, and will be the one which requires insulating. It is going to be rather special.

Latest posts

Back