Have a look at a couple of doofers - what are they?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmaniac

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked these up at a boot sale because they looked interesting.

Anybody got any idea what they are.

First one looks like a nutcracker, but it doesn't close right up, so you'd never crack cobnuts, and probably not brazils.

The second one is some sort of hand press. Both faces are flat, and it is marked Timmins, England.

Pictures attached - they were too big to upload before.
Regards
John

Attachments

• Nutcracker.jpg
    Nutcracker.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 1,137
  • Press.jpg
    Press.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 1,137
first one looks like a saw set, when the handle is squezed does a little bit of metal pop out?

the second item i think is some kind of cobblers tool? :duno:

adidat

I agree the first one looks like a saw set but it seems it lacks the provisions for setting teeth in the form of a small anvil.
If there is indeed a small anvil in there with a similar hole in the other side, i'd go with saw set as well, if not, possibly a tool for installing eyelets in leather work or similar?

Henning":378qdayb said:
I agree the first one looks like a saw set but it seems it lacks the provisions for setting teeth in the form of a small anvil.
If there is indeed a small anvil in there with a similar hole in the other side, i'd go with saw set as well, if not, possibly a tool for installing eyelets in leather work or similar?

First one my first thoughts was eyelet press but never I have never seen a saw set before.

The jaws(anvils) in the first one are both flat, and they don't open enough to put in an eyelet, unless it was nearly flat. And I think at least one face would be shaped, to make an eyelet turn over. It isn't a saw set - Ive got a couple of them, so I know what one looks like , and this wouldn't work.

The second closes and would grip something very tight which was about 3/4" thick - a bit thick even for leather. It isn't finished very well, and has no maker's name, so I don't think it's a professional tool. It looks as though it belongs in a kitchen, or is a diy tool.

There's food for thought.

Is there a prize for finding a tool that nobody can identify?

Regards
John

Attachments

• Press1.jpg
    Press1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 960
Next on my list would be that it's a plier for pressing lead discs on string to make the old fashioned anti- tampering whatsit. ( sorry, looking for a tool name which I have probably never heard here.) These can still be had today and are mostly used to seal up various containers to ensure they arrive at the recipient unopened. A metal string is put through two small holes in a lead disc and the lead disc flattened with a similar tool to the first one. They usually have some writing or some such on one face though.

It could be a ticket punch - I've just tried it on a bit of cardboard. It makes a circular - ish indentation.
Can't find much info on Wynn & Thomas, except that they were a Birmingham co, making various metalware.
Any Brummies out there?
Regards
John

Back