Has anyone tried Dewalt 20v batteries on Erbauer EXT tools?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazzarose

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

I'm currently fitting out and tooling up my new garage/workshop. My main 'everyday' cordless tools are Dewalt, both at home and in work, so I've got access to a fair number of batteries. For corded powertools I've tended to go for Erbauer, I've got a sander, router and plunge saw. Thats now left me with a tricky jigsaw shaped hole in the collection. I'd probably be completely happy with a Erbauer corded jigsaw at £59, but for a tenner more I could get an EXT cordless bare one, but that would only work out if it would take my Dewalt batteries. There seems to be information and even adapters for lots of other brands, but can't seem to find anything for Erbauer EXT battery compatability. Like I say, I'll probably be fine with a corded one, when most of my projects will be in my workshop never more than a few meters from a socket, but unlike the router or plunge saw, a jigsaw is the sort of tool that would be handy to be able to just grab and take with you for odd jobs. I just don't think I'd be using the jigsaw enough to justify the 2x+ price jump for the Dewalt cordless. If the EXT range is compatible with my Dewalt batteries it also opens up the potential for a few other lesser used tools to be cordless.

Cheers

Unlikely there'll ever be an adaptor for Erbauer. Rule seems to be that if a tool/brand is not on the North American market there's little chance anything will be manufactured. Europe is a small market with too many brands.
Other option is to DIY it, plenty of info on the web but you'll have to butcher a DW tool to begin with.

Maybe research into the Erbauer brand and see if it's just a re-labelled brand from elsewhere in the world?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. It's the sort of thing that would be a damn good excuse to get a 3D printer (and learn how to use a 3D printer,haha), but alas I'll be needing a jigsaw in the next week or so so thats probably out. That and the fact that if I buy more 'toys' to start yet another project before I've finished the last I'll be living in "that bloody garage"!

in general i think you can't use different brand batteries and tools, it just doesn't make financial sense for the makers, as they want to keep you locked into their system. I would just buy a corded jigsaw, and of course with a cord you can buy any brand you want, so that potential leads to a saving.

I've just had a reply from a YouTuber who had reviewed the Erbauer EXT cordless jigsaw and he said hes tried his batteries and they don't fit. I'll go for the corded jigsaw I think. I'm trying to get into the habit of using dust extraction whenever I'm using a tool in an attempt to keep my new garage resonably tidy, so being corded will probably help with that so I don't just grab the cordless to do a 'quick' cut, that inevitably takes longer to clean up after than doing the cut.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply, its my first question on this forum, and as a newcomer to more 'proper' wood working, it certainly won't be my last. Plans at the moment are to start off easy with some shelves, but then move on to a couple of cabinets, and a bench. So I'll be back!

in general i think you can't use different brand batteries and tools, it just doesn't make financial sense for the makers, as they want to keep you locked into their system. I would just buy a corded jigsaw, and of course with a cord you can buy any brand you want, so that potential leads to a saving.

I think Gazza was referring to battery adaptors where you can run a DW from a Milwaukee or Makita battery or vice versa etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Ad...NK2P8RWTSZQ&psc=1&refRID=RM40APKJ0NK2P8RWTSZQ

I've got a corded jigsaw, I've never once wished it didn't have a cord! It's a tool I don't use all that often. The vast majority of my home power tools are corded - in a workshop setting I don't think battery offers much advantage. At work we do a lot of site work so most tools are battery.

I've got a corded jigsaw, I've never once wished it didn't have a cord! It's a tool I don't use all that often. The vast majority of my home power tools are corded - in a workshop setting I don't think battery offers much advantage. At work we do a lot of site work so most tools are battery.

I'm the opposite, I'm always wanting a cordless jigsaw especially when cutting out an awkward sink cut on a worktop and the cord gets caught on something halfway through the cut, so you have to stop and unhook it. Pain in the buttocks.
On another note, I have a bosch 18v 7ah pro core battery that won't charge, anyone have any ideas how to fix it?

I've got a corded jigsaw, I've never once wished it didn't have a cord! It's a tool I don't use all that often.
I've a DeWalt 18v, bought mainly because I thrashed a Bosch for 20+years and wanted something decent. A few months before I'd bought an 18v drill so I already had the charger and batteries, and this was the basis of my choice. It is one of my most used power tools and is so, so much more useful without having to rely on mains electricity

I had a 18v Li-ion pack fail and looked at replacement cells. To get a decent set of 5 cells would have cost over £30. I bought a "20v" battery from Aldi for £15 stripped it and fitted the cells into my battery casing with a little firkling and soldering. It took less time than using individual cells as the pack was already welded together.

Gerry

If you are only using the battery powerd tool in the workshop has anyone thought of building a mains driven power pack. It could sit on the bench and if you connected/plug in a cable from the tool it would save buying a new tool/battery.

CHJ who used to be a mod here put a false bottom on a drill with lead through it and ran it off a 12v battery. He didn't need it to be portable so the lead and battery didn't matter.
A lot of these tools are more than 12volt ie 20 volt 18 volt so a mains power pack could be a good idea, and you cannot always get the correct voltage by cobbling batteries together.

At least with Dewalt, their 10.8v and 12v models are exactly the same, aa are their 18V and 20v.
It's just how the US and Europe classify the working/maximum battery voltage.
I assume it's the same for other manufacturers.

If you are only using the battery powerd tool in the workshop has anyone thought of building a mains driven power pack. It could sit on the bench and if you connected/plug in a cable from the tool it would save buying a new tool/battery.
I've done something similar in that I couldn't bear to throw out 2 excellent condition, but very old, 12v Bosch drills (I think I've finally accepted that I'm a hoarder). Their batteries had failed years ago and had been on the shelf for the same time.

I'm also a tinkerer and so I'd already bought some, very cheap, 240ac - 24v dc power supplies and a few variable PCM voltage regulators (for other projects). I can (in simple terms) dial-in any dc voltage from 0-24 and so I've now thrown out the batteries and converted/wired the drills to the 12v supply and use one within a home-made disc-sander and the other to drive a chisel/drill sharpener.

They work perfectly and I feel content in not having thrown out the drills.

👍

Latest posts

Back