Has anyone modified extraction ports on tools?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigs

Established Member
Reaction score
My dust extraction journey is taking a slower course than it normally would, but so far i've got as far as upgrading to a 5" flex hose yet my axi PT has a 4" outlet. rather than use a reducer causing a bottleneck, has anyone modified the ports on the tools to make then bigger?

cheers

I’ve not tried to make outlets physically bigger in part because usually the aperture behind the outlet is the same size & because the outlet size is in proportion to what the machine needs.

My Hammer machines have a 120mm outlet

6F64818F-816D-4FF3-BD5F-0831C15A7027.jpeg

The flexible hose which I use for all my machines is 150 so I simply increased the outside diameter of the outlet with a piece of pipe to suite my hose connection.

19132E6C-F3CB-4AA8-9246-1183CAB0576A.jpeg

This was a piece of underground duct they use under roads but if you can’t find a suitable piece of pipe you could always turn or rout a suitable reducer.

dropping the bore will increase the speed of air passing through it for the same volumetric flow. Right at the machine this can be a bonus rather than a hinderance.

i think. I is tired, I hasn't slept since Monday.

so what we are saying is, reduce at machine = good, reduce are extractor inlet = bad

My dust extraction journey is taking a slower course than it normally would, but so far i've got as far as upgrading to a 5" flex hose yet my axi PT has a 4" outlet. rather than use a reducer causing a bottleneck, has anyone modified the ports on the tools to make then bigger?

cheers

I actually undertook this over the weekend but haven't had an excuse to test it out yet.

I have the Triton TPT125 thickness which features a dust extraction adapter that converts from the long skinny outlet on the machine itself to a 50mm (ish?) diameter circular port. Having bought a proper chip extractor recently I wanted to make use of it, but of course reducing HVLP down to that size would be a wasted exercise, so I doctored the adapter to add a "flat channel to round pipe" adapter from screwfix, which should do the job nicely.

I shall report back once I have tried it out.

dropping the bore will increase the speed of air passing through it for the same volumetric flow. Right at the machine this can be a bonus rather than a hinderance.

i think. I is tired, I hasn't slept since Monday.

Nope. Reducing the port won't let you get the same volume of air though it. There are limits to how much air can flow through a given pipe diameter. Maximum 400CFM/680Mper hour for 4"/100mm pipe and about triple that for a 6"/150mm pipe. Because a DCs high volume low pressure system only has a few inches of pressure difference the atmosphere can only push so much through so the volume drops off when you go smaller. All that Bernoulli stuff in school that I thought I would never need. :rolleyes: So if you want better dust collection, especially the fine dust, you need bigger ducting and that usually requires opening up the outlet port of the machine and in many cases opening it up 2 to 3 times the area on the other end to let air in to be drawn out. You can't improve collection if you close off the holes and slots in a cabinet. Suck on a straw with your finger over the end and see. No air in means no air out.

I just got up and need to have a shower.:sleep:

Pete

yes my thinking is the area before the 4" connection on the machine is greater than 4" and with a 5" hose the 4" connection is going to have an impact, maybe not a huge amount but an impact none the less. im tempted to get a 5" plastic hose connector and the noisy saw out. warranty shwarranty

Nope. Reducing the port won't let you get the same volume of air though it. There are limits to how much air can flow through a given pipe diameter. Maximum 400CFM/680Mper hour for 4"/100mm pipe and about triple that for a 6"/150mm pipe. Because a DCs high volume low pressure system only has a few inches of pressure difference the atmosphere can only push so much through so the volume drops off when you go smaller. All that Bernoulli stuff in school that I thought I would never need. :rolleyes: So if you want better dust collection, especially the fine dust, you need bigger ducting and that usually requires opening up the outlet port of the machine and in many cases opening it up 2 to 3 times the area on the other end to let air in to be drawn out. You can't improve collection if you close off the holes and slots in a cabinet. Suck on a straw with your finger over the end and see. No air in means no air out.

I just got up and need to have a shower.:sleep:

Pete
i was hoping you would turn up to confirm my thoughts, noisy saw it is then (y) :D

I actually undertook this over the weekend but haven't had an excuse to test it out yet.

I have the Triton TPT125 thickness which features a dust extraction adapter that converts from the long skinny outlet on the machine itself to a 50mm (ish?) diameter circular port. Having bought a proper chip extractor recently I wanted to make use of it, but of course reducing HVLP down to that size would be a wasted exercise, so I doctored the adapter to add a "flat channel to round pipe" adapter from screwfix, which should do the job nicely.

interested to see how you get on with this - ive just bought a tpt125. Will you keep the original dust chute, and buy a new one and modify that?

I contacted customer service for a replacement part and then ill get butchering :) hopefully should have an answer tomorrow but i imagine it will be a slow boat from china kinda thing

See this thread for another easy to make 100mm dust port
- just wondering

Latest posts

Back