Has anyone modified a startrite352 upper guide/guard adjustment?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingAether

Eternal noob
Reaction score
I picked up a Kity 613 this evening and one thing i don't see spoken about in the many recommendations online is the rack and pinion to raise and lower the upper guides and blade guard easily and smoothly. Compare this to the 352's adjustment which needs to be loosened, moved by hand, lined up, tightened, checked, re-aligned, tightened again. It gets tiresome and now i have experienced how smooth it can be, i don't want to keep doing it.
Had anyone else already made a modification to add something like this to the 352 with any advice ?
Thank you for any help in advance

I don't recognise your description of the process to be honest. On mine it's a simple twist of the locking knob, raise or lower the assembly, then twist the knob to lock again, simple, quick and easy !

Maybe do a short video of what the problem is so we can see what's going on ?

As above, I don’t recognise the process, on a Startrite or other machines; it sounds as though something is wrong!

Maybe do a short video of what the problem is so we can see what's going on ?
Its not quite as i said each and every time but as the whole guide/guard system is on a round bar it never seems to sit dead straight once i've moved it; i don't trust the blade to keep it aligned.
The rack and pinion just keep it straight, moves smooth and easier tiny adjustment, i think im going to give it a go when i have some time

The vertical blade-guard is held in place with a single bolt that does allow for an amount of swivel.

However, I've found that it's only a matter of positioning the guard so that it clears both the blade and the rise/fall action of the upper blade mount then tightening it so that it doesn't move.
Obviously it is necessary to re-adjust it for wider blades and sometimes it may get dislodged with a knock......

Perhaps your 352 is a newer version with a different mount - mine's over 30 years old - so some pics may help.

Perhaps your 352 is a newer version with a different mount - mine's over 30 years old - so some pics may help.
I shall go out and take a picture when the torrent of rain outside slows down, its an old model. Its far from a deal breaker on the bandsaw, just a nuisance really but the rack/pinion system has definitely made my nipples tingle. I personally think it would be a worthwhile upgrade; i just need some practise runs cutting the rack at the right intervals

The 352 along with most Startrite stuff has changed a lot. Original models were UK built , now the 352 is from China, or at least mine was about 10 years ago.

Colin

I shall go out and take a picture when the torrent of rain outside slows down, its an old model. Its far from a deal breaker on the bandsaw, just a nuisance really but the rack/pinion system has definitely made my nipples tingle. I personally think it would be a worthwhile upgrade; i just need some practise runs cutting the rack at the right intervals
My 352 has a round bar with flat on the inside so it's self aligning. Can't see why rack/pinion would be needed.

I've got a kitty 613 and a Startrite 502e (they have the same set up as the 352). Like others, I'm not sure what your problem is so in order to help you need to give more info. Just to say, in principle, the upper Kitty blade adjuster movement and locking logic is very similar to the Startrite.

Alan Holtham did a review of the 352 in The Woodworker magazine in 2009. I can't see this model is any different to the most recent one. Google this and take a look as it might help. It's a PDF doc so you need to download.

Startrite folded in 2001, Irwin hand tools owned them and they didnt want to make machinery anymore, anything after this is badged and tagged,

You dont need a rack and pinion on a 352 (if its original) its a light/medium duty wood working saw aimed at cabinet makers, only heavy duty machines have rack and pinions for adjustment to compensate for the weight of the head stocks and tool posts.

The modern 352s are from Italy I believe, but a far cry from their Lambo engineering

You dont need a rack and pinion on a 352 (if its original)
I don't need a bandsaw but it sure is convenient 😅Its an original model 352 not a modern version and the mechanism is original, could probably do with a bit of lubrication by the sounds of it but i am quite well versed on startrite and bandsaws and its not broken or bodged together by someone, just would be nice if it was a rack and pinion is all

I don't need a bandsaw but it sure is convenient 😅Its an original model 352 not a modern version and the mechanism is original, could probably do with a bit of lubrication by the sounds of it but i am quite well versed on startrite and bandsaws and its not broken or bodged together by someone, just would be nice if it was a rack and pinion is all
Hi I have a jet 14 inch and if I adjust the height cut I need to loosen the guides and reset the bushes to the clearance to keep the blade from wandering off line. I do not know of a machine that does not need adjustment when the cut height is adjusted.

Hi I have a jet 14 inch and if I adjust the height cut I need to loosen the guides and reset the bushes to the clearance to keep the blade from wandering off line.......
Sounds like a fault to me - something put of alignment. I've had a 352 for years and it doesn't need adjustment if you change the height.
PS or maybe it does but I've never noticed!

Last edited:
Hi I have a jet 14 inch and if I adjust the height cut I need to loosen the guides and reset the bushes to the clearance to keep the blade from wandering off line. I do not know of a machine that does not need adjustment when the cut height is adjusted.
It sounds to me maybe, when the blade comes off the top wheel it isn’t in line vertically with the bushes, so as you move the bushes up towards the wheel the blade is being stretched out across from its natural line of descent. – Perhaps. Ian

Sounds like a fault to me - something put of alignment. I've had a 352 for years and it doesn't need adjustment if you change the height.

+1 I’ve never experienced a saw which required readjustment of the guides with changes of height; as Ian suggests, it sounds as though something is out of alignment

I guess it boils down to not being a fault, I'm certainly perfectly happy with my 30 odd year old 352 but if it's a modification the OP fancies doing then thbere's nothing wrong with that either, it's all about perception and opinion.

I guess it boils down to not being a fault, I'm certainly perfectly happy with my 30 odd year old 352 but if it's a modification the OP fancies doing then thbere's nothing wrong with that either, it's all about perception and opinion.

On the contrary, if the OP’s saw is working as designed (and that design is not unique to his saw), then there may well be something (seriously) amiss that should be addressed before looking at potential refinements to a system that, by design, does what is intended and required.

Back