Has anyone got one of these?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got a manual or can copy me one for the Axminster junior drum sander? I got the new rolls of abrasive today and attempted to fit one! :shock: How in God's name are you supposed to fit it? I couldn't work out how the paper fits into the slots at each end and how to cut the paper at the ends for a seamless drum?? I never could complete a Rubik''s cube either. :roll:

Hi Alan. Have you tried contacting Axminster directly and requesting a manual? They may have a copy on their website, or make one available, that you could download. Just a thought.

Oh Alan, many an hour was spent trying to get the abrasive to stay on my Performax 16-32 - there was a little wire tensioning thingy and the paper had to have a specific taper cut in the end. Cringe Cringe

I ended up selling it and getting an Axminster Senior which has been fantastic.

Sorry :mrgreen:

Now that does sound just like mine Rog! there seems to be a spring affair under the end of the drum each end and the paper must be cut to a taper and inserted into the slot. How the hell the spring affair holds it is anyones guess?? :? I may try speaking to axminster thanks Dean as it is doing my head in. :evil:

You have to make sure that the paper is cut to a specific shape at the ends - you then push your finger into the right side of the drum, pull the spring piece upwards and also the end has a spring clip on it, put pressure on this to open and insert the end of the paper - on releasing the paper is held in the sprung jaw.

you then need to wind the paper in the correct direction, tightly onto the drum, when you get to the other end again insert finger and pull sprung clip up, feeding the end of paper into it and as you release the tension should pull the paper tight.

The little wire thingy was supposed to make it easier - especially if you have fat fingers like me but I used to find it more of a hindrence than a help.

Hopefully my description helps - a little bit!

Good Luck

Thanks Chems, that was very helpful. I don't have one of those special tools to hold the paper at the far end and the clip doesn't quite look like the one in the video? I can clip the paper into the first slot no problem but the clip at the other end may be bent as the spring works sort of sideways? I have tried holding the clip back (I do have small fingers) and inserting the end of the belt into the slot but it just pulls straight back out again? I can't actually see what is happening in there as it is too close to the frame. I think I may have to take it apart to see what is wrong. :roll:

Hi,

The clip at the motor end is different to the clip at the other end as it is designed to also tension the loading as it stretches. I also gave up on the bent metal tool I find it easier to just use my fingers. What I do about the shape of the end of the loading is to use one of the originals as a template to mark up the new belt, I bought 25 M rolls from Axminster and cut from these. Hope this makes sense.

Steve

Well I managed to get the sander up and running today. I did try e-mailing Axminster about a manual but have had no reply? :roll: I had to cut down the paper to 3" for it to work. I still couldn't figure out the clip at the end of the drum and couldn't seem to get the paper to grip. In the end I dismantled the whole lot and took the drum and frame from the motor to get a better look inside that end. I then noticed that the clip actually moved with a bit of force to align it with the slot! Ahha! Now I see. This is obviously the self tensioning mechanism. No wonder I couldn't insert the end of the paper into it as it was fully relaxed and out of line with the slot. Now I know just how it works I can fit the next one without too much trouble. I also cut a couple more paper rolls to the same pattern for future use. Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys much appreciated. :D

Pictures please!

Glad to see you got it working. Whats it like in use, I've heard mixed reviews?

Sorry will get some pictures when I get back in the shop. Well I sanded a couple of pieces of hard and softwood and it seemed fine. I was surprised at how much it took off in one go! :shock: I will have to get used to lowering the drum onto it as it can burn the timber easily. I have to say though that it seems to be very accurate as I measured the piece of MDF I fed in and it had taken the same amount off all around. I was worried it may have sanded a taper with it being open ended but it was fine. I am not sure I would want to sand anything wider than the width of the drum though. HTH. :wink:

I read somewhere that it should have a slight upward taper to the open end to avoid any issues when passing a wider board around. It may have even been in that video?

The burning was what I had read, because vs a wide belt sander the abrasive doesn't get time to cool off. But if its just down to technique then thats not a problem.

Yes I did also see that some where Chems. I think it may have been in the manual. I don't think I shall be sanding anything wider than the drum really as it seems a bit hit and miss. As for the burning it was my fault as I tried to remove too much in one pass...I will get used to it. :oops:

Back