Has anyone any experience of the Charnwood Mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like the same saw I bought from Pingtek a few years ago, it's got plenty of grunt/capacity and that was about the only good thing about it.
I struggled with it not having a soft start (kept tripping fuse), the squareness kept trailing off, the 30° and 45° locks weren't very accurate, the laser clogs up after every cut and god it's loud.
I've upgraded to something better so payed twice....
So no, I wouldn't recommend!

Cheers!

Ferenc

mynamehere":1c8mj5pg said:
This looks like the same saw I bought from Pingtek a few years ago, it's got plenty of grunt/capacity and that was about the only good thing about it.
I struggled with it not having a soft start (kept tripping fuse), the squareness kept trailing off, the 30° and 45° locks weren't very accurate, the laser clogs up after every cut and god it's loud.
I've upgraded to something better so payed twice....
So no, I wouldn't recommend!

Cheers!

Ferenc
What did you upgrade to?

Ended up buying the big Bosch GDL saw, awesome piece of kit but nearly three times the price of the £200,- Pingtek.
As always, you get what you pay for...The Bosch I can recommend though, hasn't missed a beat for 2 years now.
I'm sure there are better saws available than the Charnwood for not all that much more money, I wanted something with a big capacity though and a decent 12" saw isn't cheap, a smaller version does go down in price significantly.

Cheers!

Ferenc

Many thanks, has saved me from an expensive error. So what sliding saws do you recommend doesnt have to be 12"

What are your requirements for cutting capacity and angles?

I've recently bought the Bosch GCM 8 SJL - it's only an 8" blade, but will happily cut a 45 degree bevel in a 4x2, which was my main requirement for capacity. It's working nicely so far, though I've not had it long.

There’s plenty of choice in an 8” or 10” blade size, check amazon for reviews on whatever you want and that should give you an idea, I would stick with a big brand name like Bosch, Makita or Dewalt, Metabo have a couple of good offerings for not much more than the Charnwood saw.

Cheers!

Ferenc

Whatever you go for look for adjustability of everything, I have an old Makita that has provision of square and upright of the fence on both sides of the blade and upright of the blade, it also has provision to adjust the indent locks on the table, this particular saw model fetches a premium with those that know it, but it's not made anymore as I think it was expensive to produce.

Back