Harvey table saw refurbishment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baja-king

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'd thought I would share my refurbishment/make over of my newly acquired table saw.

The saw was manufactured in 2007 by Harvey and sold under the DEFT name by Lyndhurst Woodworking Machines. The model is the HW110SE, it has the tin plated top, 30mm arbor with a 5/8" thread and will take a stack dado.

I decided that I would strip the machine down and service it. While I'm at it I plan to add dust extraction beneath the blade and add a gas strut to the vertical trunnion to smooth the rise and fall.

The saw when I picked it up...

Top cleaned before removal

Inside before dismantling

Taking apart

Body stripped ready for shot blasting and powder coating

Body will be powder coated satin black, similar to the Harvey Black Edition european models

That's it so far, will update with progress

I'm at the same job at the moment on an old Italian tablesaw in bad nick, scraping and wire brushing off the corrosion, and cutting some rust out

Are you going down to the bare metal, is that necessary?

I bought some Isopon zinc 182 primer as shown in Wallace's Wadkin LQ thread, which was on discount :)
I would make sure its gloss paint that you use...
If you can get that paint in a satin gloss, is it still ultra smooth?
Sawdust sticks to non gloss paint, I wish I painted my bandsaw in enamel paint instead of the junk I used, as it looks like a dogs dinner now.
Good luck with the saw
Tom

I was just going to spray over it but because it's possibly enamel you could get a reaction. I spoke with a local powder coat company in Caerphilly and he said that he'd shot blast it to bare metal, powder coat satin black and bake at 200° all for £75 so it was a no brainer.

Trunnions, gears and drives look in good nick, or at least not overly used.
Is the rise and fall stiff/heavy? You may find it may not need any assistance once cleaned up and lubed. I find a combination of wax and silicone spray applied on an regular basis keeps everything sweet.
Is the tinned top resistant to scratches etc? Would reflections etc be an issue if polished up? Maybe the pics show it more shiny than what it is.
And lastly, will be interested in extraction below the blade. I've only ever seen one example (on a older Unisaw) and that was a complex piece of fabrication due to the trunnion swing arc and the rise and fall mech.

I always wanted one of the deft saws from the first time I saw them.

Noel":kf6hhkli said:
Trunnions, gears and drives look in good nick, or at least not overly used.
Is the rise and fall stiff/heavy? You may find it may not need any assistance once cleaned up and lubed. I find a combination of wax and silicone spray applied on an regular basis keeps everything sweet.
Is the tinned top resistant to scratches etc? Would reflections etc be an issue if polished up? Maybe the pics show it more shiny than what it is.
And lastly, will be interested in extraction below the blade. I've only ever seen one example (on a older Unisaw) and that was a complex piece of fabrication due to the trunnion swing arc and the rise and fall mech.

The new version has a gas strut which got me thinking, the combined weight of the vertical trunnion and the motor is 38kg so a lot of downward force, I thing a gas strut may make for smoother action but I'm going to rebuild it first and see if needed. The top is not that shiny, the photo makes it look more so.

Yes I think the dust extraction will be a challenge, they have added it to the newer version of the saw...

Older version of trunnion

Current version of the trunnion

Only one of the 6 images showing? May well be me.

Yep, thanks but the earlier parts ones have gone along with one in your first post, would suggest another more reliable/forum friendly host. Imgur works well, no need even for an account.

oEyy0wG.jpg

That's looking well, great value for money.
Hard to tell from these or previous images but Is the sawdust chute shaped, if there is one, or just a flat bottom?

Latest posts

Back