Harlequin side table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Echoing all of the above... A lovely, inventive design, flawlessly executed. Thank you!

The Show ran Friday to Sunday, today - which is when I managed to attend. Some of the photos are taken early in the day. The plan was that I would do a few demonstrations (of hand tool use, plus run a master class on dovetailing), grab my prize (I did win something), and run. But there were so many interesting things to see, and I got chatting with old friends .. and then my wife turned up in the afternoon (presumably to ensure that I did not sell her new table ... no, there was a concurrent craft show on) ... and so on ...

Show1a.jpg

I took a lot of photos, but I will just show a few.

Old tools for sale!

Show10a.jpg

Show11a.jpg

Isn't this cool ...

Show13a.jpg

Show14a.jpg

I did help ... pointed out a little bit of tearout ...it did bring a smile :)

My favourite is always the area where my friend Greg Miller (in the blue shirt) runs a green wood school, and always has a section for kids:

Show7a.jpg

Show9a.jpg

Where else do you see kids having so much fun with a shave horse!

Show8a.jpg

Just in case you think that Perth is stuck in the 1800s, there were plenty of power tools and machines for sale. But it is old hat. I know everyone is waiting to see the furniture.

Well, I did not win. My club mate, Ian Houghton won first prize with a chest called "The Three Americans" (the name went over my head). Interestingly for me, it was also a harlequin theme. A really stunning piece. The photos do not do it justice.

Show15a.jpg

Show16a.jpg

Show17a.jpg

Dovetailed drawers with suede bottoms ...

Show18a.jpg

I got second place ...

Show19a.jpg

Third went to this heavily inlaid cabinet ...

Show20a.jpg

One other piece I will show is first place in the box section, which went to another club member, Martin Burgoyne. Martin had just returned from a course in Japan, the influence for this piece ...

Show23a.jpg

I did not understand it at first, and needed to read the display notice ...

show24.jpg

show25.jpg

Hope you found this interesting.

Oh, my prize for second place was a HNT Gordon end vise.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Congratulations - there's an astonishingly high standard of work to compete with there!

Back